Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: akss in position facing reraise from the blinds...seems close to me.

kill self for sure

My range is extremely tight here. This is not mid way through the tourney. This is essentially the first level of the actual tournament as the rebuy period is seperate in my mind. I think that shoving is marginal but certainly not bad. The fact that I am OOP post flop opens up my range a bit but not too much. I think that calling is fine, but you absolutely cannot just give up on the pot post flop if you miss. I think that calling and then putting in a raise on my Cbet on most flops is a good line in this situation. This is a tough spot and really dont think there is a correct answer. There is merit to calling and raising and to be honest I am not sure.

Im not much of a math person but lets say My RR range was 99+, AQ+, yet I only call the shove with QQ+ would this be a profitable shove. Those are not neccessarily accurate but as an example. I didnt do the math but at first glance it looks like the shove would certainly be profitable.

As for the A7 hand... I have runner straight and flush draws as well as two overs. how can I possibly not 3 bet there [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2007, 03:02 PM

Default Re: akss in position facing reraise from the blinds...seems close to me.

Are you ever going to c-bet/fold here? That's my problem with calling.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:15 PM

Obviously it would be harder to calculate but I think that if you know that i am Cbetting any flop with any of the hands that I RR with then calling and shoving any flop may be a more profitable play than shoving pre.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:26 PM

Yeah, but this is you and Sheets and you know it's you and Sheets. In your shoes, against Sheets calling my pre-flop c-bet with him likely putting me on a narrow range, there's no way I'm c-bet/folding the flop. Obviously, a lot depends on my holding and the texture of the flop, but I'm simply not going to bet/fold TT here for example, because I never expect him to call pre-flop and then fold to one barrel on the flop.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:13 PM

I fold this without much thought vs mattg1983..i cant say i would do the same, but my history with matt would make this a very easy fold...repushing seems to be the absolute worst option, then killing self, then calling, then fding being the best. You have an unmade hand vs a player who isnt going to pay you off if u do hit your hand in any way, unless u make a flush/straight with him having top set or something like that-- you just arent going to get any value when you do hit and having to play OOP vs a very tight and very solid aggressive player like matt doesnt seem like a great situation to be in - save chips for a better spot
Old 04-09-2007, 04:21 PM

Here's my take.

I think that there are a lot of MTTers who simply don't know how to play postflop. Those would include anyone here who would call preflop and then fold to any continuation bet that doesn't have an A or K. For them, pushing preflop is the best option.

If you are willing to actually play postflop here then a call is fine/maybe best (in terms of chip maximization).

The benefit of pushing is that it is definitely +EV and takes all the worry out of it.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:49 PM

Isnt sheets considered rather aggressive?

He raised from the CO, and this could be with almost any decent hand. The SB is supposedly a good player, so perhaps he is trying to take away the pot from many of the potential trash hands sheets could have.

I would at least call, and sometime reraise the SB's bet. The guy will almost certainly have to fold 77-JJ, and I think those are certainly in his range.