Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2007, 12:49 AM

Default Unknown problem (regarding video card maybe????) Please help, read

I went home for spring break and brought my CPU for poker. Now that I have moved back to college, occasionally after using my computer for a period of time, the monitors (I have two dell 2001FP) both stop functioning simulataneously, and they begin alterate flashing from what should be displayed to a blank black screen and back to what should be displayed, then to black, etc. During this time I was once able to shut down my computer with the flashing going on, but that was only once. When it happens now it seems like the screen stops displaying new information although its hard to tell, but I am unable to see my mouse move or get it to click things (probably because I cant see exactly where it is or if I did happen to click the start menu or something it wouldn't be displayed during the alternating flashing). As far as I know nothing has happened to it other than this movement and I took much care to ensure nothing hit or damaged the CPU as I had broken a CPU previously during a move.

What I have done: I went into the computer and attempted to resecure every piece in its dock, incase my vid card had been shifted out of its dock or something, this didn't fix anything but I thought it was worth a try.

My Observation: My computer tends to not do this for a while (maybe a few hours) and then once it starts happening, I will usually restart the CPU and try to go about my business again at which point it will happen again, much sooner than before. So the time inbetween occurences is decreased if it has happened recently. I have also noticed that my CPU seems to get a little warm so I am wondering if it might be a heating issue.

If anyone can help me troubleshoot this I would appreciate it. As for now since I have hypothesized it may be a heating issue I have bought an antec box which will allow for better cooling (if its not heating, I want the box anyway I don't like my CPU getting hot).
Old 04-07-2007, 01:59 AM

Default Re: Unknown problem (regarding video card maybe????) Please help, read

Video Card overheating? It can barely handle the two video screens? longshot, did it work fine for a long period before?
Old 04-09-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Unknown problem (regarding video card maybe????) Please help, read

CPU does not equal PC. The CPU is a chip on your PC, you are using the term incorrectly.

JSCHAUD is right, it is most likely the graphics card overheating. are all the fans working and is there plenty of room for air flow?