Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Rollback to 6.5.5

This sidebar is like 10x better. The forums stick out, and the links changing colors after you visit is great.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:20 PM

BTW-

For the new software- don't waste any time with the bolding unread posts thing. I think you're more than correct in expecting people to deal with that.

A few things to do differently next time, if possible:

- better conversion of PM database. There's no reason whatsoever the deleted PMs should transfer.

- attempt to maintain the links to the archive server so that we can reference older posts with ease.

- correct the white space and search issues

- put together some documentation or something that will help the mods and users use the new software. Maybe a "know issues" sticky as well.

- don't deploy the update in such a fashion that Chuck is sleeping when it's first getting hit by new users.

I liked the new software a lot, and hope we can get this to work.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:23 PM

White space. It seems that there is about the same amount of space between text lines on this software as on the upgrade. Are they different fonts. It is much easier to read here. Also there is no space between posts in a thread here, which i think looks better.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This sidebar is like 10x better. The forums stick out, and the links changing colors after you visit is great.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked the new sidebar, but I think another good change might be some larger font sizes.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TT,

"How can they do load testing without a heavy load?"

Seriously, man, stick to threads about publishing.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] - your a network wiz, is there a way to do load testing of that level? [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2007, 03:27 PM

Nick-

Compare

"Reged: 09/01/02
Loc: AIM Nickb2p2"

With what you saw on the other forum, it's a lot smaller because of the spacing. The same problem doesn't actually exist within the posts.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
White space. It seems that there is about the same amount of space between text lines on this software as on the upgrade. Are they different fonts. It is much easier to read here. Also there is no space between posts in a thread here, which i think looks better.

[/ QUOTE ]
<ul type="square">[*]There's no "back to top" link[*]The title field is to the right of the user name instead of on top[*]There is less spacing between the lines[*]The title bar and icons on the bottom take up more space here[/list]
Old 04-09-2007, 03:29 PM

also i'd love to see black names (diablo, [censored] etc. change colors within the style sheets b/c they are impossible to read with ubbthreads-dark)
Old 04-09-2007, 03:30 PM

I was taking another look at the archive server, which is still running the new software, and this one to get a better sense of where the white space issues are coming from.

Here are some things I noticed:

1. As I saw noted in one of the ATF threads that's now in limbo, a lot of the issue is that the text of a post starts right up against the title bar across the top. You could increase that space a little bit and it'd look better.

2. The reply, quote, QR, and new QQ buttons are no longer in the title bar, but are now down in the same space w/ the notify mod button. This isn't an issue, but what's creating excessive white space is that all of these buttons are forced to appear BELOW the user's loc field. On the current set up, the notify, print, and remind buttons can appear anywhere above the location field provided they leave room for the text. If we could make it somehow like this, that would fix the bulk of the white space problem.

One last thing that I didn't see mentioned is that we should just turn off the thread ratings. Seeing all the 3 star and 5 star threads is kinda dumb. That shouldn't take hardly any time or effort, no?

Is it possible to scan through user's PMs and delete ones that are identical? That'd at least help us mods who got 5 PMs per ban we've dished out. I agree that making sure that the deleted PMs stay deleted is something that should happen before we re-upgrade.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

- don't deploy the update in such a fashion that Chuck is sleeping when it's first getting hit by new users.

I liked the new software a lot, and hope we can get this to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I was up a long time doing nothing but deploying the new software on Saturday. I resemble that remark.

The issue is database and search functionality. Until we have a good solution for that we're not moving back to the new software.

Any ideas on load testing ahead of time would be most welcome. We tried to get some of that on the archive servers, but obviously the archives don't take the kind of traffic that the main site does and they are not update intensive for some reason. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ideas are always welcome.

Chuck