Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2007, 10:37 PM

Default 11$ FT.... I\'m a SNG player, new to multis

I'm REALLY sorry for lack of HH.... I accidentally closed out the tourney before I could grab it, but if you've got 2-3 min, I'd appreciate you takin a look at this situation.

Early on in a Full Tilt 11$ multi, I have a 2200 chip stack, BB is 60 , and I wake up to QQ in the BB.

5 people limp, including SB(2400). I raise to 420, it folds around to SB, who pushes all in. I call, he has AA, and I go busto.

In the chat to come, I am berated by one of the other players who says I should have raised less than what I did, then I could get away from QQ preflop.

My thoughts are that if one of the EP limpers repoped all in, I could get away from it... but am I really supposed to fold QQ in BB when SB limped into a 6 way pot early on in the tourney? Can I actually put him on KK/AA limping into a 6 way pot from SB?

Also, I liked my big raise because it was early on and I felt like I would surely get 1 or 2 callers at most, but I didn't want 5 callers.

Basically I want to know if the guy berating me was right... should I have raised less preflop, and should I have layed down?
Old 04-06-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Re: 11$ FT.... I\'m a SNG player, new to multis

raise to 300 preflop and easy call
Old 04-06-2007, 10:51 PM

I'd raise 300(5xBB is more than enough) and really I'd consider deeply letting it go.

My reraise range includes QQ and AK, but my raise calling range is much less. There's a bunch of hands you can be a dog to, and I think you overvalued your initial raise and your calling power with it.

That said, I learned this through practice before math; QQ was my biggest leak hand for a few weeks; I busted out of multiple tournaments a day with it.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:01 PM

If anything you didn't raise enough. A standard is to make it 3xbb+1 for each limper. But when out of position make it 4xbb+1 limper. So here I would make it 60x4= 240 then plus the 5 limpers another 300 so 540 total. And yes no way you could put SB on AA/KK terrible play on his part unless he somehow knew you would raise from the BB because you're some habitual squeezer that always raises limps from your BB.

Most of the time I would expect to see SB with some small/mid pocket pair that he simply can't bear to fold because you might have AK.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:09 PM

3bb + 1bb for every limper is standard. You played the hand perfectly.

The comments in the chat are absurd.

Folding to a MP limp raise would be horrible.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:15 PM

Thanks for the analysis... I figured I played it at least close to correctly, apart from maybe raising a little more preflop.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd raise 300(5xBB is more than enough) and really I'd consider deeply letting it go.

My reraise range includes QQ and AK, but my raise calling range is much less. There's a bunch of hands you can be a dog to

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be a pain, but there are only two hands you are a dog to: AA and KK - and only AK is a coinflip. You are crushing AQ, and ahead of AJ AT, etc. all Ax hands, as well as any PP lower than us.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:13 AM

Ya you are fine here... I actually raise more and there is no way Im putting the SB on AA or KK here... Wp... o and its far better to come here then listen to the ramblings of the average donkament player [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ...

Disciple