Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Question: Forcing Aggressive playbacks in your favor?

In my micro-limit MTTs I've seen aggressive play with many hands; Axs sees pushes on smaller stacks, etc.

Is it wrong, as a large stack, to throw a strong pre-flop raise in order to invite a reraise from an aggressive player if the short stack is in late position/blinds and may push anything under duress or pre-flop odds?
Old 04-07-2007, 12:48 AM

Default Re: Question: Forcing Aggressive playbacks in your favor?

[ QUOTE ]
In my micro-limit MTTs I've seen aggressive play with many hands; Axs sees pushes on smaller stacks, etc.

Is it wrong, as a large stack, to throw a strong pre-flop raise in order to invite a reraise from an aggressive player if the short stack is in late position/blinds and may push anything under duress or pre-flop odds?

[/ QUOTE ]

To what end? Are you saying do this with a good hand so you can play the shorty heads up? Or simply doing it to fold and get out of the way?

Raising with a good hand is never a bad plan. Raising with the intention of folding ALWAYS is (in a MTT...now in a SnG or short-handed, that's different)
Old 04-07-2007, 02:45 AM

Default Re: Question: Forcing Aggressive playbacks in your favor?

Ok, situationally:
Player A: Aggressive Blind Stealer/Calling Station/Early Play lucky donk with a big stack(any of the three fits description). You feel this guy will call at the sight of a big pot with horrible odds. He's not short stacked, he may even be big stack off of a suck out/gimme hand.
Player B: Typical player on short stack.

Blinds are 50/100
Hero is MP with 4500
Player A is Button with 3000
Player B is CO with 650

Hero has 7h8h. It folds around to him, and he raises 400 knowing he's forcing Small Blind to push to play and otherwise stands to steal blinds. B Pushes and A Reraises up to 1400 thinking I'm trying to steal.

I've actually seen this situation, mostly through donks/overaggressive players. Is it ever beneficial to instigate this situation, however? Or is it best to never put the raise in if you know that that response is going to come around?