Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Re: OOT help me build my liqour cabinet

Yes, I seriously want to blow whoever posted about it.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People in this thread recommending anything other than WL Weller,

Go out and buy yourselves a bottle of that stuff right now. I found it to not only be the best bourbon for $18, not only better than Maker's Bulliet, Dickel, or Jack, but it approaches or exceeds $30+ bourbons in quality.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've been enjoying Knob Creek for a little while now...anything you'd recommend a step above that? For most drinks I've probably had close the best example of that drink, but I don't think i've had really high shelf bourbon...
Old 04-06-2007, 06:54 PM

Good Bourbon Thread

err make that whiskey or whisky or whatever the cool kids call it.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:25 PM

Jack Black has dropped from 90 to 80 proof within the last two decades. Real drunkards are boycotting them.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bulleit Bourbon is not that good and not that cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]
Knob Creek is better for the price I think.

But for whiskey, Jack Daniels is standard. Jim Beam or Ezra Brooks if you are on a tight budget. (Ezra Brooks is fantastic value if all you are going to do is mix the whiskey with coke or soda.)
Old 04-06-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Trying to stay under $100 for now, what are the must haves for making the most common drinks/shots. Currently I have

Grey goose, malibu,goldschlager,amaretto,and tequila

What can I add to this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll help you out OP to get yourself a solid bar for under $100:

You already have Grey Goose (Vodka), Malibu (Rum), Amaretto, and Tequila covered so that's a good start.

You definitely need gin and a bourbon. My preferences are Sapphire and Maker's Mark, but since you are going with a budget, you can get a bottle of Gordon's for the gin (~$10) and Old Grand Dad for the whiskey (~$12).

Next you need some triple sec which is a key ingredient in shots. You can get any bottle at a liquor store for about $8.

Jagermeister is a must as it mixes with a ton of stuff for shots and is great on its own. That is somewhat pricey as a bottle of that is about $15-$20.

So with $50 left and much of the main alcohol types covered you can choose to go a variety of ways from here. You can buy some girly bottles to fill up and make extra shots. These would include different liqueurs like Melon liquor, Apple pucker, black rasberry liquor, peach schnaps, etc.

You could also get some extra stuff like grenadine, lime juice, sour mix, etc. to mix with shots.

The route I would take would be to get a bottle of something good to sip on like Grand Marnier for about $30, and then get a bottle of melon liquor, apple pucker, and peach schnapps for about $10 each.

It would be a little bit over $100 but you would pretty much have a fully stocked bar allowing you to make tons and tons of drinks.

Cappy

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent advice. OP should also get southern comfort to make the vaunted SoCo Lime shot that girls love. gets them drunk quick and fast and it's sweet and easy for them to handle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgot about SoCo. I hate it, but chicks love soco lime shots, so it's a good thing to invest in.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People in this thread recommending anything other than WL Weller,

Go out and buy yourselves a bottle of that stuff right now. I found it to not only be the best bourbon for $18, not only better than Maker's Bulliet, Dickel, or Jack, but it approaches or exceeds $30+ bourbons in quality.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never tried WL Weller - I'll have to check it out. I like Makers, Bookers, Woodward Reserve, and Knob Creek. I would have recommended something better than Old Grand Dad, but I'm assuming price is his #1 priority and he wants to fill his bar up.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I seriously want to blow whoever posted about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would mostly be MrMon, and to a lesser extent me. MrMon first posted the article recommending it as an exceptional value in bourbon, and I think I was the first one to review it here. MrMon is another guy who really knows his [censored] when it comes to booze.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:22 PM

Probably not in your first $100 bar range but I've recently made myself a nice cocktail cabinet and my fave ingredient by far is Cherry Brandy.

It should be first on your list for non-basics after triplesec/cointreau