Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2007, 12:11 PM

Default playing big hands but not the nuts

Is it ever correct to flat call w/ a hand like a straight or flush when its possible someone has a higher straight/flush?

Say its a limped pot and you are in the BB/SB.....limped pot with say 4-5 opponents. Flop comes 7JA i have 89 turn brings a 10 giving me a straight.....KQ is a easy possiblity out there so would it ever be to correct to just call bets and possibly even folding? I have a tough time with these hands because i feel obligated to get my money in even though in the back of my head i know i could possibly be drawing dead. A similiar situation for me is say playin 89 suited or 56suited and hitting my flush but facing resistance. I have always been told you gotta be crazy to fold that but in the back of my head im thinkin im beat, i get all the money in and lose to the hand i was thinkin i was up against. I dont know if this is coming off tough to understand and if youd like for me to explain it a little better ill get a hand in my HH to show as a example.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Re: playing big hands but not the nuts

The short answer is "No".
Old 04-06-2007, 12:52 PM

lol ok cool....no explanation needed
Old 04-06-2007, 01:05 PM

yes.

It depends on the preflop and flop action, your position, number of players, how they view you, and how much value you can extract on a future street, or if you are able to get away from your hand based on future action.

There are probably other considerations as well. Therefore, your general question is better answered by specific examples.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:35 PM

Straights on a non-paired and non-flush board I almost never fold. Like 8T on a QJ9 flop. You're up against hands like QJ and AQ too often to fold.

Flushes, it depends a lot more on the situation, the betting going on, and the opponents involved. Against someone who plays top pair like it's the nuts, I happily get my money in with a 23 flush. Against someone who always plays suited aces and is betting like he has the flush, that's a much easier fold. Anyone overbetting or pushing the river when a flush was possible on the flop or turn scares me as well.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Straights on a non-paired and non-flush board I almost never fold. Like 8T on a QJ9 flop. You're up against hands like QJ and AQ too often to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

You need to go through the hand and come up with a range of hands that they can hold that play this way. If you can't see past them holding a hand that beats you, you can let go. It will be more much likely that there are many other hands that can be holding.

I like to come up with a rough % of the time that I think they have it. If I think I'm good x%, I use this and pot odds to decide what to do.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol ok cool....no explanation needed

[/ QUOTE ]
Forget what I said... when I read what the others had posted I went back and read your OP... I read "straight flush", not straight/flushes. Like when you have 54s and the board is 678s and you are worried about T9s for a higher straight flush.

Sorry, I'm zonked today.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:25 PM

ha, its cool..........basically when its a limped pot with multiple opponents i feel like i pay off higher flush' straights when i know im beat.....or at least lose more money than i could have by raising there bets instead of flat calling.