Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2006, 12:10 AM

Default ATo in BB against EP raise and two CCs

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max). Very first hand...no stats on anyone

Preflop: Hero is BB w/ A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG+1 raises
CO cold calls
Button cold calls
SB folds
Hero calls

Flop: (8.4 SB) A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 players)
I like to bet here to see where I stand but I checked because I had absolutely no reads...UTG+1 bets, CO calls, Button raises, Hero folds...

Preflop....I really hate ATo against a raise multiway. Anyone fold this preflop? Good flop fold?
Old 02-21-2006, 12:50 AM

Default Re: ATo in BB against EP raise and two CCs

Never bet to see where you stand. Bet for value. Checking can tell you where you stand w/o putting any money in the pot in this situation. Hero folds.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Never bet to see where you stand. Bet for value. Checking can tell you where you stand w/o putting any money in the pot in this situation. Hero folds.

[/ QUOTE ]
Knowing where I stand has value............
Old 02-21-2006, 01:31 AM

If you could pay 1 SB to see all your opponents' hole cards, you very likely should. However, the information about him raising is unreliable at best. Furthermore, if you can get sufficient information for free, why would you pay?

Read this:

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/show...=14&fpart=1

Then get back to me.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:52 AM

I didn't read the whole article....but I'm sure it's good. My point was that you said "never". If you noticed, I checked the hand and said why. If I bet, I didn't know what calls or raises meant (i.e. I'm not getting accurate info). If, however, I had good reads and knew my opponents were ABC players....I would have bet it.

oops....I didn't make the point about 'never' in my first response...I deleted it...lol. I was going to say that comments like 'never' and 'always' generally are not correct in poker.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:46 AM

OK, fine, no "never." But even if your opponents are ABC, you shouldn't. Then, as here, you can check and see just the same. I stand behind "never," in the sense as, "as much never as you can have in poker."
Old 02-21-2006, 11:28 AM

I'm not sure how checking gets you infomation when you check to the raiser, he bets (a continuation bet is ABC in my opinion), there is one caller (a very loose flop peeler or a player that plays any ace)...now what?

PS....what about the hand. What do you do preflop there...you "always" (lol) call?
Old 02-21-2006, 12:11 PM

W/ no stats, I think I'll always call. Once you can get some stats, then you know how likely you're dominated.

As for the case of no real action, then you call. You're probably ahead. Sure, sometimes you don't know you're behind AK, but sometimes you're not letting QQ know you're ahead, nor are you fooled into thinking that KK has you beat.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Knowing where I stand has value............

[/ QUOTE ]

Not nearly as much as you think. Mostly because it doesn't really tell you where you stand UTG is going to raise you a lot with worse hands simply to try to knock out the other two players. Also he may call with something like AK hoping to trap the others.