Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2006, 02:03 AM

Default Re: I just ordered these titles from Amazon - feedback?

[ QUOTE ]
Darn... yeah. It is Weighing the odds in Hold'em Poker, my bad. Oh well, do you think I can get anything out of it for my NL game anyways?

[/ QUOTE ]

It probably won't help your Nl game a great deal from reading it alone. But if you read it and learn to play Limit hold em, that will definitely help your NL game.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:42 AM

For NL you may also want to consider Doyle's sections in super-system and SS2.
Also PL/NL by Ciaffone/Reuben as has already been mentioned.

The good news is that the new Miller/Sklansky NL book is supposed to be out in a few months.
And I expect that it will be nothing short of awesome.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:00 AM

Jeez - that lot is gonna take some time to read, understand and integrate into your game.

I've been reading the same beginners book for a few months now and the penny is only just starting to drop under fire.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:02 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]
Hi - my book is only on limit hold'em. If you are only interested in No-Limit, it would be a stretch to say that you'd get much out of my book - the games are just too different.

[/ QUOTE ]

NIce Hand Sir!
Old 02-20-2006, 02:49 PM

I have LGB, HOH 1&2, and Making the Final Table. I think all of these are good. Funny people keep wanting to say Lindgren's book is junk. I think you'll find it a nice addition to what you have. Kill Phil should be helpful as well, although I still haven't gotten that one myself yet.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Funny people keep wanting to say Lindgren's book is junk.

[/ QUOTE ]

The biggest problem that I have with it is that it is basically nothing more than a propaganda piece for the WPT. There is very little in it that is "new" and the stuff that isn't "new" is covered much better in other books.

There was some decent stuff about the "non-poker" things that relate to making a WPT FT, but that doesn't make up for the rest of it. Unless you’re a book junkie (like I am) you won't be hurting your game too much leaving this one off your "required reading" list. And even if you are a book junkie, it's the poker book equivalent of cotton candy...sure looks good at first, but leaves you feeling kinda empty after an hour when you come off the sugar rush.

And watch who you're calling funny. I resemble that remark. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2006, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest problem that I have with it is that it is basically nothing more than a propaganda piece for the WPT.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I thought. I didn't think you was calling it junk based on Lindgren's content in the book. Read the content and you will see the book is not "cotton candy."

Which parts of the book did you consider "new" and which books do you feel explain the "old" material better? I have read quite a few poker books and I found a lot of what he wrote to be very different and sometimes the opposite of what I had read in the past.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:45 AM

i thought lindgren's book was quite unique, but it isn't good value vis-a-vis the amount of material in it..

i know the whole "get a couple things from it makes it worthwhile", but there's alot of good free stuff on internet.

one of the few books that talks about small-ball.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:53 AM

what about the Theory of Poker? I would think this would be the first book anyone read.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-LGB by Gordon
-Kill Phil by Nelson
-HOH 1 and 2 by Harrington
-NL odds by King Yao
-Making Final Table by Lindgren

I'm a new and ambitious player, and the game I want to focus solely on is No Limit Texas Hold'em. Have I covered all the bases here? I want to load up on all the tools and concepts so I can play to my potential, are these sufficient or is there another book with another angle I am missing?

Any feedback would be really helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have three of the books on the list and have found them to be useful.

LGB Gordon - excellent analysis of how a top tournament player manages situations. I quickly read this one twice.

HOH I Harringon- the best book on no-limit hold 'em that I've ever read. Though it is primarily directed at tournament play, I've found application of its concepts dramatically improved my ring play. A particular favorite topic of Harrington that made an impression on me was the importance of observation.. especially when you are not in the hand. He writes that a top player cannot "see into your soul" to know what you have, but that he applies observations and probabilities to put an opponent on a hand.

HOH II - was the continuation of the first book with an emphasis on end game play. I have not found the concepts in it as useful in everyday play... obviously it does not apply to most cash game situations.

I will buy HOH III the day that it becomes available.

CC