Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Ben Sheets-level filthiness (very long)

[ QUOTE ]

its okay to be a nice guy and take all their money at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, you're a minute late. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it goes hand in hand. The thing about a lot of the regulars in that game is that they take raising personally (ever since Justin brought this up to me, I've been realizing how prevalent it is). To be brutal honest, I think Dave's (illguitar's) development as a player has been hindered a bit from being the nice guy. I'm guessing his retort would be that he gets some softplay against him and some bad calldowns and the such, but the bottom line is that while your hourly may not go down as a result from playing the regulars as hard as you can, it keeps you from getting in to tougher situations and developing skills to jump to the next level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had not thought about this and 100% understand and agree. Wow. This is a really good point for me. I have become content with stagnation. Interesting point as to why this is the case Doug. This is an argument I had not thought of while defending my role as nice guy, regular that tries to keep everyone comfortable. I am floored by this revelation, though I probably shouldn't be. I really appreciate this advice Doug and will work on it. Excellent point.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it goes hand in hand. The thing about a lot of the regulars in that game is that they take raising personally (ever since Justin brought this up to me, I've been realizing how prevalent it is). To be brutal honest, I think Dave's (illguitar's) development as a player has been hindered a bit from being the nice guy. I'm guessing his retort would be that he gets some softplay against him and some bad calldowns and the such, but the bottom line is that while your hourly may not go down as a result from playing the regulars as hard as you can, it keeps you from getting in to tougher situations and developing skills to jump to the next level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had not thought about this and 100% understand and agree. Wow. This is a really good point for me. I have become content with stagnation. Interesting point as to why this is the case Doug. This is an argument I had not thought of while defending my role as nice guy, regular that tries to keep everyone comfortable. I am floored by this revelation, though I probably shouldn't be. I really appreciate this advice Doug and will work on it. Excellent point.

[/ QUOTE ]

the thing is, it is absolutely 100% possibile to play tough-as-nails poker and not come across as some miserable prick or whatever. i wouldn't worry *too* much about making people uncomfortable because even the fishiest of fish realize that this is a game played for money. for the complete package players, fish will realize they are playing against really good players and still not mind losing to them anyways since they are genuinely nice/good guys.