Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Animal cruelty and child molestation in AC land

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So when gangsters extort protection money from a local merchant, they get away with it because they've built up such a great reputation over the years?

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference between the mafia and the government: SIZE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another (occasional) difference: LAW.

Government should be kept well-managed and working for you. Otherwise, only the competition has a "mafia" to play with.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So when gangsters extort protection money from a local merchant, they get away with it because they've built up such a great reputation over the years?

An equivalent situation would apply to self-appointed "judicial" firms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gangsters often bribe the government officials. How powerful do you think the mafia really is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Potentially powerful enough to take over completely, if the people give up their most powerful tool: representative government.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In other words, it's the fact that there is a trial, and a verdict, at the end of the line that creates the incentive for people to settle, and to agree to arbitration in the first place.

The other way to answer it is to ask a different question: why is it that (for example) Pennzoil v. Texaco was not settled by the Better Business Bureau? Why did Bush go to the Supreme Court in Bush v. Palm Beach Co., rather than to an arbitrator?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a total movement of the goalposts. You suggested that people who did seek arbitration would seek only arbitrators they knew in advance would side with their interests. What people do with monopoly arbitrators given that they are already in place is a totally different issue. If you want to argue that private arbitration is somehow inherently incapable of dealing with $10 billion cases, then argue that point.

And, I might add, using Bush as an example is begging the question 101, since in an AC world there wouldn't BE any Bush vs. Gore, or Bush vs. whatever county election commission in the first place.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. The government gets to make its own rules. And it gets to outlaw certain goods and services, creating the black market that gives rise to the mafia in the first place.

Good show.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here’s the central problem for ACists: when it comes to defending the defenseless, ACists must either:

A.) Admit that it won’t happen, or
B.) Describe how it’ll be prevented.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where does this obligation come from? Your personal whim?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Either judge's decisions are binding, or they're not.

If they're binding, what you're talking about is government, whether you want to admit it or not.

If they're not binding, they'll be ignored in all but the most petty small-claims type stuff, where the dispute wasn't that big of a deal in the first place.

[ QUOTE ]
And it has been described. The solution will emerge from the market.

[/ QUOTE ]

"The solution will emerge from the market," is not an answer. This is a tired argument, that involves the burden of proof (which I know you don't accept), but the bottom line is most of us don't belive the market will solve this problem, and historical evidence (and just plain common sense) indicates that it won't.

[ QUOTE ]
People want the defenseless defended (as evidenced by your obvious concern about this issue) so there *is* a demand for such services.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fine with paying my share to pay for foster homes, and courts, and all the rest. But I'm not fine with paying more than my share because other people are too selfish to pay anything at all. If you think that impinges on your "right" not to have to contribute... sorry.

[ QUOTE ]
Your objection has been met. Unless you mean that you want to know *what* the solution will be. In which case, you should consider the following:

Here’s the central problem for evolutionists: when it comes to the emergence of new species, evolutionists must either:

A.) Admit that it won’t happen, or
B.) Describe what species will emerge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the thing, pvn, justice, and the protection of the weak and the innocent isn't just any "new species" - it's a particular kind of species, and it doesn't just "evolve" by itself.

You won't get a garden full of roses by standing back and letting nature take its course, you won't get a labrador retriever from a pack of wolves left to their own devices, and you won't get justice without government.

Evolution works according to survival of the fittest. It's not the highest moral order we can aspire to, anymore than a dandelion is better than a rose.

[ QUOTE ]
I also refer you to these previous threads:

LINK

LINK

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-05-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. The government gets to make its own rules. And it gets to outlaw certain goods and services, creating the black market that gives rise to the mafia in the first place.

Good show.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where I live, the government doesn't just "make its own rules". It's answerable to a higher authority (the people), not to mention the law itself.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good show.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where I live, the government doesn't just "make its own rules". It's answerable to a higher authority (the people), not to mention the law itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to know where this is that you live. Where I live, when I interact with the silly fools who call themselves 'government' they certainly don't seem too concerned about following my wishes. I stand in line and get stonewalled while they dilly dally and hide behind their governmental bureaucratic rules. They do seem very invested in public relations and propaganda however.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good show.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to know where this is that you live. Where I live, when I interact with the silly fools who call themselves 'government' they certainly don't seem too concerned about following my wishes. I stand in line and get stonewalled while they dilly dally and hide behind their governmental bureaucratic rules. They do seem very invested in public relations and propaganda however.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the government is corrupt. I'm talking about the de jure system put in place by the Founders (which continues to serve us in good stead even today, despite everything), not the maladies the "consumer" public has let develop.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good show.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the government is corrupt. I'm talking about the de jure system put in place by the Founders (which continues to serve us in good stead even today, despite everything), not the maladies the "consumer" public has let develop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not understand who you are or what you believe in or stand for.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good show.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not understand who you are or what you believe in or stand for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Skidoo/Sharkey has never stood for anything, only against things.