Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Current Skill You Are Developing

I am starting to make wood pens as a hobby (perhaps to sell). Pics below as most people I tell that I am making pens have no idea what the hell I'm talking about (pics are not mine.) Slowly venturing into woodworking, though it is a fairly pricey hobby to start.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:14 PM

I'm teaching myself Cocoa & Objective-C. I'm going to build the next sick mac app and make millions.

p.s. If anyone knows what the next sick mac app is, please let me know.

p.p.s. If anyone knows what the previous sick mac app was, that'd be good too.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Conversational Japanese
Hiragana and Katana

[/ QUOTE ]

Katakana --- right? (Katana is a sword --- which very well might be what you are trying to develop.) One of my favorite classes in college was Japanese. One of my biggest points of frustration was looking up the definition of the word "huroshiki" only to find that the english translation was "huroshiki." WTF is a huroshiki??? (I now know, but didn't then)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I meant Katakana. Weird Freudian slip there.

No Katana for me, but I would love to start learning Judo. I wrestled in school, so think that a grappling art would be right up my alley.

I love how they adopt loanwords and give them their own JP pronuncimications. But since they're loanwords, they expect you to know the word already (which you do, but not pronounced that way). Lots of confusion when both people think they are speaking English and still can't communicate.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You seem to be claiming that you, or at least the elusive Tom and Kim, can influence the behavior and thoughts of another person while out of visual and audio contact with them. Whether or not they say that it is a psychic phenomena, James Randi would surely be willing to admit that it is, if they could prove it. Perhaps I am mistaken in my understanding of the claim.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I don't think it is psychic. But here's an idea. How about you go to the essential skills yahoo group and ask the apparently 'elusive' Tom himself. I'd be interested in the answer, as I'm sure would be others, including you judging by the level of interest you've shown on this thread. And who knows, maybe you'll teach him something.

Having said that, I want to thank you. You're right. It is a pile of crap. I can't think why I ever thought it worked for me. Thank you for using your valuable time putting me straight.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You seem to be claiming that you, or at least the elusive Tom and Kim, can influence the behavior and thoughts of another person while out of visual and audio contact with them. Whether or not they say that it is a psychic phenomena, James Randi would surely be willing to admit that it is, if they could prove it. Perhaps I am mistaken in my understanding of the claim.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I don't think it is psychic. But here's an idea. How about you go to the essential skills yahoo group and ask the apparently 'elusive' Tom himself. I'd be interested in the answer, as I'm sure would be others, including you judging by the level of interest you've shown on this thread. And who knows, maybe you'll teach him something.

Having said that, I want to thank you. You're right. It is a pile of crap. I can't think why I ever thought it worked for me. Thank you for using your valuable time putting me straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the deal. This is the direct claim that "Tom" makes:
[ QUOTE ]

I first noticed this years ago when I would get deep rapport with someone. I would get into a feedback loop with them. I could feel my face get red and my solar plexus get warm. I first wrote this off as a coincidence. Then I noticed that they were having the same reaction.

Well I knew that I was going for rapport but they sure didn't. I began to try to get rapport with people from across the room and then with people that were not even looking at me yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, I'm not sure how he managed to notice that someone else's solar plexus was getting warm, but that's beside the point. If you can cause someone's temperature to rise and their face to blush when they have no interaction with you at all, then you are performing a miracle. Like I said, I'm willing to lay large odds that such a feat would fail in rigorous testing.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What you claim would surely qualify for the Amazing Randi million dollar prize, so Tom and Kim ought to bring their abilities over there and start ballin'!

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO! When ever I see crap like this I always think the same thing. If it was true they wouldnt be peddling seminars and DVDs theyd go take the million bucks from Randi. And not only would they get a million dollars, the amount of publicity they would get would be MIND BLOWING. They could then make billions selling their DVDs and seminars, and would basically change the way humans interact. It would be the biggest thing to ever happen in the history of mankind.

But since they havent gone out and done that, its obviously crap.

I guess I shouldnt say crap, I should just say that what they say is happening isnt really happening. But if it makes you live your life better or gives you something to occupy your time and energy, then I guess more power to you. Its sad in a whole disillusion sort of way, but I guess you could say the same thing about religion, so whatever.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can cause someone's temperature to rise and their face to blush when they have no interaction with you at all, then you are performing a miracle. Like I said, I'm willing to lay large odds that such a feat would fail in rigorous testing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, go to the yahoo group and take it up with him then. Seems you can educate him and take his money. What are you waiting for. Go get it.

It's nice to see so many have faith in this Randi.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:23 PM

OK I joined because there was a question. So feel free to grill me if you like.

Tom Vizzini
www.essential-skills.com
Old 04-05-2007, 05:38 PM

Tom,

Do you possess the ability to influence someones mind who is completely unaware of your presence?

edited to fix my retarded spelling
Old 04-05-2007, 06:21 PM

Thanks for joining us, Tom. Let me preface this by saying that I am genuinely quite interested in NLP and especially self-hypnosis and other mind improvement techniques; I'm simply a bit skeptical about some of the claims on essential-skills, and I get suspicious whenever the word "Energy" is quoted as a kind of mystical force. I posted the question on the yahoo group, so I'll just copy my text here, with some brief modifications:
[ QUOTE ]
Hello - I recently found your page, essential-skills.com from a
discussion some posters are having on the message boards at
www.twoplustwo.com. A few of us are skeptical of the claims
in your "magical rapport" description, and we were hoping you could
verify a few things for us. It seems like you are claiming that you
can develop a connection with someone across the room, who is
completely unaware of your presence. Specifically, there are claims
of making their face blush and their solar plexus to become warm,
although there may be other indications that you have developed a
rapport as well. Can you verify this? Are you really able to make an
"invisible" connection with someone who is out of all visual and audio
contact with you? What are some indications that this has occurred? Are you able to select whom you will develop rapport with, or do you simply notice that it has occurred (I'm sure you see the skepticism that will arise with the latter). Thanks for your help!

[/ QUOTE ]