Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 04:21 PM

Default 100NL: AQo in Blind Battle

No stats on Villian, early in session, do you call push or give it up. What would you have done differently. Thanks in advance.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Hold'em Cash Game
$0.50/$1 Blinds
6 Players
LegoPoker HH Converter

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
<u>SB: $138.80</u>
<u>Hero (BB): $138.55</u>
UTG: $96.90
MP: $37.90
CO: $129.40
BTN: $104.25

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($1.50, 6 Players)
4 folds, <font color="red">SB raises to $4</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $14</font>, SB calls $10

<font color="black">Flop:</font> A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($28, 2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $15</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $42</font>, <font color="red">SB raises all-in to $124.80</font>, Hero calls all-in for $82.55
Uncalled bet of $0.25 returned to SB

<font color="black">Turn:</font> 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($277.10, 2 Players - 2 All-In)
No Action

<font color="black">River:</font> 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($277.10, 2 Players - 2 All-In)
No Action

Pot Size: $277.10 ($3 Rake)
Old 04-05-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Re: 100NL: AQo in Blind Battle

With no stats or reads, do you normally feel comfortable going all-in with TPGK after the flop? I'd give him credit for a set or two pair and move on. You showed strength pre-flop and on the flop and he still went all-in. Though it's possible he'd do this with a strong draw or weaker ace, I'd rather see some proof of how this homeboy rolls before I commit my stack to TPGK.

As for what to do differently, since you only have one opponent, the chances that he is on a flush draw are minimized. Floating here might not be a bad idea in position - you might be able to use the third heart as a scare card by raising the turn if he bets again. I don't think there is anything really wrong with raising the flop though. It helped you better identify your hand. Use that information to make your decision (i.e. fold).

To a lesser degree we can analyze our opponents play to help with the decision. What sort of hands do we think the average player leads the flop with in this situation? He has to figure that you'll bet this flop to continue representing strength, so why doesn't he just check here? I'd like to hear what others think about his range. Knowing nothing about villain makes it difficult to interpret the bet. We don't know what kind of thinker he is... Is he the type of player that suspects that you'll see a 1/2 pot sized bet as weak and raise it up so he can push with his set or two pair? Is he the type of player that flopped a pair of aces with a weak kicker and just bets any hand he has no matter what? If so, does he also push weak aces when they pair? Is he the type of player that semi-bluffs the flop here with a block bet holding KQ of hearts hoping to see the turn cheaply?

We just don't know enough about his tendencies to answer any of these questions with any degree of confidence. It'd help tremendously to be able to rank his play on a "donk-meter" after seeing him showdown a hand or two. Against an unknown, I feel like your hand is in deep trouble here.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:34 PM

MT: That's good logic. My discipline has been shot lately, but folding here seems fine. The flop raise is good.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:54 PM

Ay I too like your logic here, but with all the draws present I thought that calling at the time was the better play, but had no idea if he was capable of calling my pf raise with 910s