Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 09:12 AM

Default 4 handed AQ

I have been discussing this hand with a friend of mine and I would love to hear everyone's input. This is a live monthly game. $20 buy in. 16 runners. We are down to 4. Paying 3 spots. 1st-$180. 2nd-100 3rd-$70. Stack sizes are approx. Blinds are 800-1600 w/ a 200 ante

UTG- 10K
Button (hero) 25K
SB -12.2K
BB-40K

UTG folds. Hero looks down at AQ and raises to 5K. SB pushes his 12.2K in. BB calls 12.2K. Hero?

BTW I am not the hero in this hand, my friend was. I was UTG.

Thanks,
Pocono Drew
Old 04-05-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: 4 handed AQ

shameless bump

looking for some mtt love. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2007, 02:57 PM

Reads?
Old 04-05-2007, 03:41 PM

BB is rather tight but might be trying to isolate the small stack.

This is pretty much the only read I have.

oh snap...my 100th post!!!!

Pocono Drew
Old 04-05-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BB is rather tight but might be trying to isolate the small stack. <font color="blue"> If he wanted to isolate he would have shoved, because he is uncertain of where you stand, I am willing to give BB credit for a preety big hand because he does not really need to get innvolved in this spot </font>

This is pretty much the only read I have. <font color="blue"> Thats not enough, at least not for me to stray from what my normal play would be here, to Shove, Also I think when you lose this hand it will often be to the BB, which means you will take 3rd place, which in itself is not completly bad, and when you win this hand... look out you have a very good chance of winning the whole thing... I'm playing for first here </font>

oh snap...my 100th post!!!! <font color="blue"> Congratulations, best of luck in the next 100 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>

Pocono Drew

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> Disciple </font>
Old 04-05-2007, 03:56 PM

Push, &amp; congrats on the big 1-0-0.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BB is rather tight but might be trying to isolate the small stack. <font color="blue"> If he wanted to isolate he would have shoved, because he is uncertain of where you stand, I am willing to give BB credit for a preety big hand because he does not really need to get innvolved in this spot </font>

This is pretty much the only read I have. <font color="blue"> Thats not enough, at least not for me to stray from what my normal play would be here, to Shove, Also I think when you lose this hand it will often be to the BB, which means you will take 3rd place, which in itself is not completly bad, and when you win this hand... look out you have a very good chance of winning the whole thing... I'm playing for first here </font>

oh snap...my 100th post!!!! <font color="blue"> Congratulations, best of luck in the next 100 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>

Pocono Drew

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> Disciple </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

you cant keep posting like that. you make it 10 times harder for everyone else to read
Old 04-05-2007, 04:02 PM

I think you could be behind by a small amount. With 4 left and 3 paying and BB calling with what he has seen in front of him, I'd fold and hope that he takes out the other player. He's already the big stack, oh well if he gains some more chips.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:07 PM

Raise less the first time, 4k is fine.

I'd fold. BB's flatcall for 1/4 of his stack on a reraise of that size is just too scary. If you're not going to fold, I'd rather just call here rather than push. With the player all in on the money bubble, most likely you're going to see cooperation play postflop, and you can avoid having to put more chips in the pot unless you make a hand, since most likely if the bigstack bets and you don't have a hand, folding will be correct and you can get ITM and still have a good shot at 2nd and not even be totally out of running for 1st either. I don't think your prize equity is impacted that drastically by losing half your stack here, oddly enough. I did some quick ICM checks and you actually GAIN prizepool equity 3-handed with a 12k stack vs. where you started this hand, so it probably isn't wrong to call preflop and fold if the bigstack bets and you haven't made a hand on the flop.

Edit: after I checked the ICM stuff, I wouldn't fold, but I'd call, not push.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:11 PM

I think you have to call, but you cant push here.