Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 09:37 PM

Default Windows Media Player (no sound)

Whenever I click a Windows Media Player link online, I get no sound. For files I've downloaded, sound works fine. Specifically, when using MLB TV, I get perfect video, but no sound whatsoever. Last year it worked fine, and I haven't changed any of my hardware since then. What could I be doing wrong here?!
Old 04-03-2007, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Windows Media Player (no sound)

This link seems to have several people having the same problem and some of the people posted links to codec packs that they downloaded and they say it fixed their problem. Might be worth checking out.

http://www.mcse.ms/message2357985.html
Old 04-03-2007, 10:58 PM

Thanks! I went to that link, which actually didn't point me in the right direction, but it gave me good keywords to search for, and I eventually found it. It only took 2.5 hours of my night to figure it out.

If anyone cares, I went to Options, then the DVD tab, then advanced, then changed the Output from "AS IS" to "1-0 mono" I have no idea what this means...anyone know if this has any negative affect?
Old 04-04-2007, 12:11 AM

Sorry that didn't solve your problem but glad it gave you a place to start.

Thanks for posting the fix too. That way if someone finds this topic via the search, at least they'll know what worked for you.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:57 AM

i have wmp 10 series (i think, at work at the moment), so i don't have a DVD tab to change it...anyone know which equivalent steps i should take to do this...

either way, thanks a lot for posting this as I've been having the same problems...
Old 04-04-2007, 10:54 AM

I posted in my own thread this same fix last week or the week before. Mine had sound but the voices were extremely quite compared to the background music / effects.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have wmp 10 series (i think, at work at the moment), so i don't have a DVD tab to change it...anyone know which equivalent steps i should take to do this...

either way, thanks a lot for posting this as I've been having the same problems...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm running Windows Media Player 10 now too (after I rolled back from 11, thinking that would solve the problem). Under Tools, then Options, you don't see a tab titled "DVD"?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I posted in my own thread this same fix last week or the week before. Mine had sound but the voices were extremely quite compared to the background music / effects.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I looked up your thread just now too. My fix works, but it doesn't seem great, so I'm playing around with the other options that you mentioned too.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm running Windows Media Player 10 now too (after I rolled back from 11, thinking that would solve the problem). Under Tools, then Options, you don't see a tab titled "DVD"?

[/ QUOTE ]

well, i'm at work at the moment, but they also use wmp 10, i checked this one but yea, no dvd tab after clicking to see the options menu...strange