Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Wrestlemania 23

What I meant was that he is one of the top 5 big man "workers" of all time. Of course if you compare him to smaller guys his workrate isn't going to be what theirs is. Just based on wrestlers around his size (which I think is a much more fair comparison) he's one of the best.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:22 PM

Sure, for a big man he can work a good match when he's motivated to do so. So like once or twice a year. It might be a more fair comparison, but altering that landscape doesn't magically make his matches more entertaining to watch.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:11 PM

You don't have to be 5 feet tall and capable of 580 flips to be a good worker. I'm fairly sure most internet wrestling dorks would disagree with you guys.

Most match of the year articles I read for last year had Undertaker v. Angle as the top WWE match or near it. Personally, I haven't seen it.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:16 PM

Whether you like it or not, 'taker is going down as one of the greatest wrestlers of all time.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't have to be 5 feet tall and capable of 580 flips to be a good worker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure how you interpreted my statement as contradicting this.

[ QUOTE ]
Most match of the year articles I read for last year had Undertaker v. Angle as the top WWE match or near it. Personally, I haven't seen it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was pretty good. Go figure, Angle was involved. And as I said, Taker can work a good match when he really wants to. That's usually at WM, but he throws the occasional gem in on surprise occasions. Being capable of good work doesn't make him a good worker though. Most of his matches are on cruise control. They are plodding snoozefests, he no-sells everything, and there's very little suspense on who's going over.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:03 PM

Location: My Avatar is Cursed for my Teams. Please don\'t curse my burger.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You don't have to be 5 feet tall and capable of 580 flips to be a good worker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure how you interpreted my statement as contradicting this.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was pretty good. Go figure, Angle was involved. And as I said, Taker can work a good match when he really wants to. That's usually at WM, but he throws the occasional gem in on surprise occasions. Being capable of good work doesn't make him a good worker though. Most of his matches are on cruise control. They are plodding snoozefests, he no-sells everything, and there's very little suspense on who's going over.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were smarter I would have said the very same thing. Good summation. End of Undertaker thread hijack!
Old 04-05-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

'Taker was really fun to watch in the early/mid 90s when he had a lot of athleticism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you not see him dive over the top rope without touching it at WM?
Old 04-06-2007, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
'Taker's a good worker for a guy his size, but there's no way he's top 10 all-time (especially if you're factoring in Japanese/Lucha Libre guys). He probably barely makes a top 10 "big man" list, which would probably be topped by guys like Vader and Stan Hansen.

'Taker was really fun to watch in the early/mid 90s when he had a lot of athleticism.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will agree that Stan Hanson and Vader are great big men. But the term worker applies to his all around ability. Neither Hanson nor Vader could ever draw the way Undertaker does. As far as strict in ring ability goes Vader is one of the best ever but an all around package he lacks. Taker can pack a stadium, sell merchandise, work a great match (when he wants to), make a [censored] wrestler look good, and keep an otherwise ridiculous gimmic alive and profitable for 15-17 years (I can't remember which Survivor Series he made his debut). I admit his matches can get a little boring, but if you want an honest opinion from an insider standpoint, Taker is in the top ten of all time.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
'Taker's a good worker for a guy his size, but there's no way he's top 10 all-time (especially if you're factoring in Japanese/Lucha Libre guys). He probably barely makes a top 10 "big man" list, which would probably be topped by guys like Vader and Stan Hansen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will agree that Stan Hanson and Vader are great big men. But the term worker applies to his all around ability. Neither Hanson nor Vader could ever draw the way Undertaker does. As far as strict in ring ability goes Vader is one of the best ever but an all around package he lacks. Taker can pack a stadium, sell merchandise, work a great match (when he wants to), make a [censored] wrestler look good, and keep an otherwise ridiculous gimmic alive and profitable for 15-17 years (I can't remember which Survivor Series he made his debut). I admit his matches can get a little boring, but if you want an honest opinion from an insider standpoint, Taker is in the top ten of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Survivor Series 1990, brought in by Dibiase.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Survivor Series 1990, brought in by Dibiase.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks, I thought it was 90 but wasn't positive.