Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 07:25 AM

Default Re: PHD Scientist believes in God.

[ QUOTE ]

C.S. LEWIS Read his books and and tell me he is not a genius.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mere christianity sucks.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Heaven can only be the totality of the Universe,and since man is the universe becoming conscious of itself, all of mankind must be what people refer to as God.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a couple unfounded statements there.

[ QUOTE ]
Heaven can only be the totality of the Universe,

[/ QUOTE ]

It couldn't possibly be anything else? Why not?

[ QUOTE ]
man is the universe becoming conscious of itself,

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you back that up in any way? I'll settle for proof that the universe is conscious, or even a logical indicator.

[ QUOTE ]
since man is the universe becoming conscious of itself, all of mankind must be what people refer to as God.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I believed the first part of this statement, I'd be somewhat inclined to believe the second part too. But there's no reason to believe the first part. Can you offer any?
Old 04-05-2007, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But there's no reason to believe the first part. Can you offer any?

[/ QUOTE ] Faith, duh.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:56 AM

pretty good debate (and by debate I mean Sam Harris makes Prager look like a complete tool)
Old 04-12-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/03/col...ary/index.html

I don't follow the religious posts...but didn't David dare people to find someone who was like super smart who believed in God or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are hundreds and thousands of top doctors and scientists who believe in god/allah/jhwh. Just because they don't hang out with David doesn't mean they don't exist.

Physics PhD's also believe that 94% of the universe is the currently unknowable 'dark matter.' So everyone believes wacky things, and god is a lot less wacky than superstring theory and 13 dimensions to make the math come out right.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:09 AM

[quote

Physics PhD's also believe that 94% of the universe is the currently unknowable 'dark matter.' So everyone believes wacky things, and god is a lot less wacky than superstring theory and 13 dimensions to make the math come out right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, and non-trivial.

I heard this guy interviewed by Terry Gross on NPR a day after she interviewed Richard Dawkins. He's a sweet intelligent guy who likes the celebrity of being Jesus's man in the genomics. Remember, somebody who can do the kind of science that sequences the genome isn't necessarily a heavy thinker. The heavy thinker is the guy who had the idea of sequencing in the first place. The work of most scientists is like that of programmers. They do a part of a larger project. The great minds like Newton, Einstein, Darwin, etc. are geniuses who happened to be scientists.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:10 AM

WHAT? I don't understand string-theory, but it easily makes way more sense than all-powerful-invisable-ghost-man-who-dreamed-up-everything-that-exists-and-ever-will-happen-and-you have to believe-it-or-he-will-send-you-to-molten-lava-world-theory.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WHAT? I don't understand string-theory, but it easily makes way more sense than all-powerful-invisable-ghost-man-who-dreamed-up-everything-that-exists-and-ever-will-happen-and-you have to believe-it-or-he-will-send-you-to-molten-lava-world-theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even Francis Collins (who is the subject of OP's post) doesn't quite believe in this sort of god. Most educated people realize that the god with a belly button and a beard, the god who has a bad temper, etc., isn't much of a god. The real question is, is there something beyond materialism? Even the idea of god the creator is a bit specious since there is no need for any creation, and at any rate we'd have to explain god's creation.

The only God worthy of the name is way beyond our comprehension. In the Vedas it is said, "Not this, not this." Any notion we may have of God is surely wrong. Can the ant contemplate nuclear fusion? We are the ant.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
pretty good debate (and by debate I mean Sam Harris makes Prager look like a complete tool)

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read it and I loved one sentence from Prager: " I believe that the more time one spends at a university the more foolish he or she becomes."

If I understand this sentence correct, we should close all the universities as they produce foolish people. Or whithout universities the society would be smarter.
Is there anybody who agrees with this sentence?
Old 04-12-2007, 02:14 PM

Isaac Newton was one of the most brilliant men who have ever lived and he was ardently Christian.

Of course it was in an entirely different era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_n...eligious_views