Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Rental Car in Vegas?

Get a car, then have it valet parked. Call the valet stand before you come down from your hotel room if you can.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:42 AM

Default Re: Rental Car in Vegas?

If you plan on taking trips like Red Rock and Hoover Dam--which takes twice as long to get to as to see--then rent a car for those days. Otherwise, car rentals in Vegas are the biggest scam in a town that celebrates scams. Most people rent a car and leave it in the parking garage, as driving in the Strip area sucks, at best. I'm a professional at it, and it sucks for me.

All hail the Deuce. (And it's $5 for 24 hours, not all day. A Vegas bargain.)
Old 04-05-2007, 10:38 AM

Default Deuce vs. Monorail?

I figured I'd ask my question here rather than starting another thread.

I'll be staying at The Ventian. I need to get to the Convention Center. Can I walk that? I'll probably visit friends at The Paris and also hit the MGM. Is the Deuce or the Monorail better?
Old 04-05-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Rental Car?

My general rule on the rental car question is if I am bringing the wife and want to check out stuff like Red Rock, Valley of Fire, Lake Mead, Mt.Charleston etc... then I rent a car. If I am coming by myself or with friends for a poker only trip I just stay somewhere central to all the good poker rooms and walk or Duece it where I need to go.
Dealing with strip traffic is never fun and I find it much less hassle to not have a car unless I really need it.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Deuce vs. Monorail?

The Sands convention center is connected to the Venetian. It is still a hike, but it is indoors.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I figured I'd ask my question here rather than starting another thread.

I'll be staying at The Ventian. I need to get to the Convention Center. Can I walk that? I'll probably visit friends at The Paris and also hit the MGM. Is the Deuce or the Monorail better?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's another option to the LVCC. The Wynn has a shuttle bus that goes back and forth. (It used to be a lot easier before they closed the road from the back gate up to the back entrance. It was my private shuttle to the Strip.)

Best choice would be the Monorail, although expensive. The Deuce doesn't go to the LVCC. Walking is an option, but a pretty fair hike. Walk North on the Strip to Convention Center Blvd and turn east. I wouldn't want to do it.

Deuce to Paris would be okay, but you could walk it faster. To MGM, the Deuce is the best budget option. 30 minutes, probably, including the wait. Or longer, depending.

Cabs here are expensive and the wait times and hassles are often awful. Same traffic as you'd run into with your own car.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:17 AM

Check with the convention you are with. As long as you are staying at a convention hotel, they will provide shuttles between hotels and the convention center. Also the Venetian is attached to the Sands Convention Center. You can also monorail from the Venetian to the Las Vegas Convention Center, but expect some walking to get to and from the monorail.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:23 PM

Thanks to all for all the info.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:25 PM

The best way to rent a car is to use priceline. I usually get a car for less than $15/day. Go to www.biddingfortravel.com which is a message board that people use to post their winning priceline bids. That way you know how much to bid. I always end up getting Alamo/National.