Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 07:33 PM

Default How to move apartments in my building

So this amazing unit with a garden and a deck just opened up in my apartment building (very rare in SF). I'd love to move into it, but I have a lease for a while, and I'm sure my landlord isn't going to let me have it out of the goodness of his heart (it's a big professional property management company, I don't have much contact with them).

Is there anything I can do to try to get that unit and/or transfer my lease? Worst case I would be willing to keep paying for my current place until my lease goes up.

Landlords of OOT, what could a tenant do to sway you? (sexing is probably not an option)
Old 04-04-2007, 07:37 PM

Default Re: How to move apartments in my building

Well, even though you don't want to, I'd talk with your management company. It wouldn't hurt to ask. Who knows, you might be able to make some type of deal. For instance, ask if you could sublet the old apartment and move into the new one.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:40 PM

I switched apartments within my complex without any change in rent or term of the lease. Of course, I had a valid medical reason for moving from the 3rd floor to the 1st floor (my wife was scheduled to have surgery and would not be able to walk up to the 3rd floor).
Old 04-04-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, even though you don't want to, I'd talk with your management company. It wouldn't hurt to ask. Who knows, you might be able to make some type of deal. For instance, ask if you could sublet the old apartment and move into the new one.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm definitely going to talk to them, just curious what kind of cards I might be able to play to sway things in my favor. Offering to find a renter for the original place, etc.. perhaps some kind of semi-bribe like offering to pay rent in the old place while they find a renter, I dunno.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:41 PM

Is your current lease up soon?

From my experience with rental conglomerates in phoenix and the northern virginia, as long as you sign a new lease they will transfer you with very little fees. ESPECIALLY if this unit is more expensive, or you are really close to the end of your current lease. If you normally pay on time and they have no issues with you otherwise, they will in no doubt let you take it. You are much less risk than a new tenant.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm definitely going to talk to them, just curious what kind of cards I might be able to play to sway things in my favor. Offering to find a renter for the original place, etc.. perhaps some kind of semi-bribe like offering to pay rent in the old place while they find a renter, I dunno.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, OK.

Yeah honestly, I think you might be worrying too much about this situation. Just because it's a huge management company doesn't mean that they are completely inflexible bastards. I think that if you rationally explain the situation in a respectable manner -- while offering to help in any way possible -- they really can't say no (this is assuming you are a "good" tenant). One tip though, make sure you schedule an apointment with someone at their office and don't make this request over the phone.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you normally pay on time and they have no issues with you otherwise, they will in no doubt let you take it. You are much less risk than a new tenant.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is only true if his current lease is nearly up or if the vacant unit will be a tougher sell...since, if the OP moves into the other unit, the landlord now has to spend time/money to get OP's current unit in shape to rerent.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you normally pay on time and they have no issues with you otherwise, they will in no doubt let you take it. You are much less risk than a new tenant.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is only true if his current lease is nearly up or if the vacant unit will be a tougher sell...since, if the OP moves into the other unit, the landlord now has to spend time/money to get OP's current unit in shape to rerent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but market and unit conditions aside, it has been my experience that landlords tend to be very nice to good tenants, especially with the large amount of competition in the apartment business.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:03 PM

The rents market right now is very much in the renters favor right now in SF. If you are a resident in good standing (pay rent on time, not too much complaining) they'll probably let you move and sign a new one year lease to the new apartment. You don't have to offer to find a new renter for your old aparment.