Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 12:42 AM

Default Long time limit player switching to NL

I've played nearly 100K hands at limit, all while bonus whoring and made some decent coin the past year and a half. It is pretty clear the bonus gravy train is over and unless you are playing 3/6 or above at limit, the hourly $ from just winrate will not be worth the time. Seems like everyone is switching to NL...some of the best limit players are going thru 50K breakeven stretches since the games have dried up compared to a couple of years ago.

I can play about 10K hands a month, and anything less than $1000 a month profit (via bonus, rb, play) really is not worth it to me. Having said that, if I play 200NL at a winrate of 3 or 4 ptbb/100 that'll be around the profit I would consider worth the time invested. My question is, at what level should I start playing at? Starting at $5NL would take forever to build up a decent roll, but I don't want to jump in where I'd be the fish at the tables. I'd be playing at Party and I would imagine $25NL wouldn't be too hard to beat even with little NL experience. A few months of that should get me rolled for 200NL I imagine. I have the money to play $500NL right now, but obviously I'd be way overmatched in that game. I guess I'm wondering at where I should start without it being a complete waste of my time.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Long time limit player switching to NL

check out the faq's but 25nl would be my suggestion
Old 04-04-2007, 12:47 AM

i'd start off at 50NL, its the first level where some people aren't playing with a finger up their ass. See if you can get comfortable there and move up when you feel comfortable
Old 04-04-2007, 01:07 AM

50, 25 will warp your will to live. 25nl is like a 40oz. You'll get drunk but you may get raped or mugged when you least expect it. 50nl is more like a tailgate party. More friendly, just drunk enough, not retarded.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:13 AM

Exact same situation here. Made the switch to NL pretty recently. I'd also recommend $50 for pretty much the same reasons as ike gave: the players are completely terrible in general, but you'll occasionally run into some who play somewhat reasonably. I found the change from 50 to 100 suprisingly challenging, but the change from 100 to 200 was not very big.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:14 PM

I was in the same boat. Played around a million hands of limit and made the switch in December. I was rolled for 5/10 but started at 25NL and moved up whenever I was comfortable and satisfied I was beating the level.

I was fine with starting at 25NL to get the hang of it but moved up fairly quickly to .25/.50 and .50/1. I play different levels now depending on the tables but I'm comfy at 2/4 after around 80K hands since the switch.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Exact same situation here. Made the switch to NL pretty recently. I'd also recommend $50 for pretty much the same reasons as ike gave: the players are completely terrible in general, but you'll occasionally run into some who play somewhat reasonably. I found the change from 50 to 100 suprisingly challenging, but the change from 100 to 200 was not very big.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. NL50 and NL100 are much more different then NL100 and NL200.
NL50 is a good place to start like everyone has said. I built up a bankroll infor NL100 in about 15k hands at NL50.(about 5ptBB/100) Built up my bankroll for NL200 in about 35k hands at NL100.(6PTBB/100) Working on my NL400 bankroll now playing NL100 and NL200.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:21 PM

50NL...also be prepared for nasty swings and other variance, though u prolly know to expect this already...