Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 02:44 AM

Default Checkraising a flush draw - am I on crack?

I don't know... villian plays aggressive and tricky, so I thought my fold equity is decent here. I guess I wanted to mix up my play a little. Of course if I miss on the turn, I almost have to fire another bullet. I later realized how small this pot was and how stupid a play this was, all the time. Right?

Maybe I should've... folded pre-flop? folded flop? I have to at least check-call turn. At least I folded river, right? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.20 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 10.20 BB
Old 04-04-2007, 03:18 AM

Default Re: Checkraising a flush draw - am I on crack?

Did you have statistics on the villain?

I usually fold preflop here against the vast majority of players. I only call against a really aggro PF raiser or maniac. I don't think A9s (and some even better hands) is good enough against an EP raiser. Also, the possibility of domination seems high.

As played, I think you should fold flop.

I think it of course depends upon the opponent but in general, I don't think your turn check-raise bluff gets a fold enough with this board.

I think you should check-fold the river, and I would have check-raised if I hit the flush.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know... villian plays aggressive and tricky, so I thought my fold equity is decent here. I guess I wanted to mix up my play a little. Of course if I miss on the turn, I almost have to fire another bullet. I later realized how small this pot was and how stupid a play this was, all the time. Right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop. I usually call here. The only reason that I wouldn't, is that I think my opponent could be ahead of me, and he sounds like the kind of player that with position, could outplay me later on.

Flop. The pot is small, and I missed. My opponent doesn't seem like the kind to laydown easily, so I just fold.

Turn. Well, we got this far. If you really believe that you have fold equity here, I don't mind the checkraise. The threebet is bad news.

River, given how much strength you've shown, he has to be betting for value. I think the laydown was correct.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:35 AM

I would probably fold, especially if the opponent is good and could outplay me later.

I C/F the flop.

I experiment with semi-bluff turn C/R's, but when someone sees the FD come out, they often stay with you, especially if they're good.

Also, how often do you take a C/C, C/R line? Almost never? The guy has to know you're FOS.

Yeah, C/F river.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:49 AM

I am surprised that someone would fold this preflop. I think it is an easy call with A,9 suited.

Flop - insta fold

Turn - check call. I don't think the J is a good card to go for a checkraise semi-bluff. His range, assuming he is solid, is AK, AQ, AJ, AA, KK, QQ, JJ, 10s, 9s, 8s, etc. With the majority of villian's likely holds, he is going to call or 3-bet for checkraise.

River - check fold.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:07 AM

I would call pre-flop but then fold the flop.
Like you said the pot is small, you have at best a backdoor flush draw on the flop and your Ace may not even be good if it hits.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I am surprised that someone would fold this preflop. I think it is an easy call with A,9 suited.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah when I said that I would consider folding preflop, I meant that if my opponent was either a very tight preflop raiser, like in the 1% range, or someone who I thought played very aggressively, very trickily, and very well.

Other than that, I am calling with A9suited in the BB. In fact, I usually call one raise with NE 2 suited here, and then I try and work out how much trouble I'm in after the flop.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:24 PM

The preflop call is going to be a long-term loser. Throw in a couple coldcallers and things are different, but HU vs. an EP raiser you're drawing to 3 outs the majority of the time, and you don't know which 3 they are. The sootedness doesn't help enough to offset that.

I hate the flop peel.

Given the way you've played the hand thus far, I do not hate the turn c/r attempt. This will maybe knock him off of AK and probably TT/99...although I think you'd have better folding equity if you just donked the turn against these hands. It's just that this time he (apparently) had a big hand. One thing to keep in mind, though--a tricky player, unless he views you as painfully straightforward &amp; passive, isn't going to fold even KJ here because he knows all the tricks, and tends to suspect his opponents of making those kinds of moves. Too often, in many cases.

Easy check/fold on the river.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:53 PM

Wow for any of you calling A9s from -most- players preflop from UTG+1, I think you have found a leak. I can promise you, you are a dog to any hand I'm raising with and any that your A high is ahead of my holdings, I think position makes up for that.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow for any of you calling A9s from -most- players preflop from UTG+1, I think you have found a leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are getting 3.5 to 1 to call in the BB. I call, knowing that I am probably behind. Then I have to play poker postflop. That is why I might not call against a very, very good player. But otherwise......