Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 11:02 AM

Default NL25 - Put myself in a bad spot on the button

My first time posting a hand up here, so try to have some patience with me (but not my play.)

Villain is 26/13/1.09/90 who had recently begun playing back at my frequent first-in positional raises.

Hero is a cash game noob with about 5k hands at 25NL.

Full Tilt Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (4 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">SB <font color="#A500AF">(Villain)</font> ($26.40)</font>
BB ($53.60)
UTG ($24.30)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($29.80)</font>

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.85</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB <font color="#A500AF">(Villain)</font> raises to $2.75</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $1.90.

Flop: ($5.75) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to $16</font>, Hero calls $6.

Turn: ($37.75) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $7.65 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $7.65.

Final Pot: $53.05

I think I just out-thought my way into a bad position here when I could have made straightforward decisions that would have kept me out of trouble.

Button raise here is standard for me. His 3-bet was my first (and probably best) chance to get away from this hand easily. I decided to call based on his recent aggression in the face of my late position raises, but in reality those raises may have been real strength. In retrospect, even with position, this is not a hand with which I'm going to like many flops.

On this flop I'm not folding to a C-bet. This looks like my best chance to take the hand down, but I don't make a large enough raise. Once he re-pops I know I'm dead to a heart. With Villains range as 77+, PokerStove has me at 42% so I think I'm obligated by the pot to call. I feel like I've lost any fold equity I may have had so at this point I know my whole stack is probably going in, but I don't think there's any sense in my being the one to put it in there.

Thanks for reading &amp; posting your thoughts.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:08 AM

Default Re: NL25 - Put myself in a bad spot on the button

Flop raise is meh, but after that you are given excellent odds to hit your flush (4:1 on the flop and 6:1 on the turn). This is straight +EV, so take it.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:13 AM

You should have raised to 13 on the flop if you were going to raise. As played you have to call the turn bet since you have 26% equity(4 outs to the straight, 9 to the flush) and are getting 5.9:1 on your call.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:29 AM

fold pf, once u get to the flop make a real raise and call a push from him.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

4-handed, suited ace on the button, folding is not the correct move, raising is correct. Once re-raised we're getting decent enough odds+implied odds to justify a call.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you advocating an initial fold or a fold to the reraise? I think there is a good argument to be made for folding to the reraise, but I can't see folding A9s on the button in this spot. If you disagree, what are your standards for raising on the button four-handed (when UTG folds)?
Old 04-04-2007, 12:43 PM

Why are we RR the flop? Why not just call and suckout? He's basically bet half his stack on a draw.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are we RR the flop? Why not just call and suckout? He's basically bet half his stack on a draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I raise the flop because I think his range includes a lot of hands that miss this flop and C-bet. I think a healthy raise gives me a good chance to take it down right here, and if not I've still got good outs.

Villain turned over A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img], river K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2007, 05:51 PM

fold to preflop 3bet...