Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Is TAG style the most optimal for consistant profit?

Rich Gambler - looked at your screenshot. Your style of play is even not TAG, more like supernit. TAG is someone who plays 18/12 , not 10/7. I think you are missing on value not playing marginal and speculative hands nearly enough.
Just my 2 cents
Old 03-20-2007, 08:07 AM

I think many players sit too long at tables that don't fit their style for a particular session. If it doesn't suit your TAG or even LAG style. Move onto a different table, it's a mouse click away. Being stubborn will lose money.

I play TAG and if I don't like feel of the table, I'll simply move on.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:07 AM

I don't see any reason to play TAG in NL. In limit it's a totally different story, because the implied odds are much worse.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rich Gambler - looked at your screenshot. Your style of play is even not TAG, more like supernit. TAG is someone who plays 18/12 , not 10/7. I think you are missing on value not playing marginal and speculative hands nearly enough.
Just my 2 cents

[/ QUOTE ]

This is full ring stats not 6max
Old 04-02-2007, 10:12 AM

Blah blah blah blah ... I nit a full ring table and ask to get conformation that I am great.

Come sit with the likes of Samo and the rest running 50/40 at a 6max table and see how you do ... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just my 2 cents

[/ QUOTE ]

I call 18/12 nitty, 21/18 Taggy, and 28/25 Laggy. 10/7 is super nitty - not that there is anything wrong with it if you are winning the $ (but 5 PTBB/100 isn't great).

Lucky
Old 04-02-2007, 11:05 AM

I think which style is applicable really depends upon the tables one sits at. If you are sitting at a table with big pots and 45%+ viewflop, TAG is going to play well against the table. However, taking that game to a mid to high stakes table with a viewflop of 20% and you aren't likely to get paid off with anything with adjusting.

For all us micro and small-stakes ballas, TAG is almost definitely going to be a reasonable approach to winning though.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:20 PM

Imo it all depends on the dynamic of the table you play, and to exploid, you need to be able to adjust.

Personally i find my self playing kind of nittish at 6max but kind of laggish at FR.
I prefer FR btw as it suits me better, but being forced to play 6 max quite a bit, has improved my FR game too i think.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:57 AM

-On the lower limits, there is no doubt I think that TAG will be the absolute best strategy. The argument that you're image will not pay you off is weak since a)people don't pay attention b)it gives you good fold equity c)if you play a solid positional game you will play enough hands that unexperienced/uneducated players will see you as a "normal loose" player.
-On the higher limits, the metagame enters, this will destroy ABC poker players
Old 04-05-2007, 04:34 AM

LAG is definitely more profitable, but higher variance and you have to be able to control your tilt a lot better then a TAG player. A good LAG requires more skill and understanding of the players at a table and texture of the board. Players will be calling/trapping a LAG a lot more then a normal player. I love playing LAG, but downswings can really get to you, last session I tilted away 4 buy in's....