Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 05:22 AM

Default Pls help with advice/info: New EU member trying to restrict i-gambling

Hello,

This is probably addressed mostly to European players, but I would really appreciate advice/input from others with knowledge as well...

Rumors are that the politicians in the country that I reside in (Bulgaria - a new EU member state) are trying to pass a law that would restrict online internet gambling (to basically just local providers). The new law that is in the making would supposedly make legal only online gambling at sites that:
a) have servers here in Bulgaria (and pay taxes here); AND
b) have had a license to organize gambling activities in Bulgaria for at least three years...

I am fairly certain that the new restrictive law is not going to go well with the EU. Unfortunately, I am not very knowlegeable about the EU and its policy on the subject. My question to you is this: What are some EU bodies that we can contact about the this issue? Can you point me to specific regulations or cases in other member states that give could potentially (if needed) provide support against this new law?

Any information/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

bate_nasko
Old 04-04-2007, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Pls help with advice/info: New EU member trying to restrict i-gambling

"I am fairly certain that the new restrictive law is not going to go well with the EU."

Probably accurate.

"Unfortunately, I am not very knowlegeable about the EU and its policy on the subject. My question to you is this: What are some EU bodies that we can contact about the this issue?"

This is likely to get ruled on first in other proceedings more ripe and advanced through the EU review processes. The key would be finding a gaming company which is interested. (Actually, there is a good gaming software provider in Sofia, whose name escapes me.)

"Can you point me to specific regulations or cases in other member states that give could potentially (if needed) provide support against this new law?"

That I cannot do. There is a pending issue involving Germany and the EU Commissioner (?) about prohibitions versus operators from other EU countries, but I do not have a specific citation. Try Google.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Pls help with advice/info: New EU member trying to restrict i-gamb

Looks like verry legal inside the EU. Protect national interest and ban others is doubtable. But seems your country only want regulate and profit from it THAT SEEMS INSIDE EU law.