Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Re: asperger syndrome

[ QUOTE ]
I might have a mild form of this. It seems like everyday I say/do something completely logical in my mind and other people are taken aback by it. I understand the social constucts that I violate, but I see them as meaningless.

Just the other day, I was at a big event with thousands of other people while the National Anthem started playing. I was on the phone with a friend talking loudly over the music, and several people including my friends turned and scowled at me. A couple of my friends were really embarassed and one told me to shut up. I was not embarrassed AT ALL. Seriously, didn't bother me at all.

The "who care what other people think" mentality pervades my life. When I have to operate with people who can have a direct negative impact on my life i.e. boss, close relatives, I get really anxious knowing I will have a hard time communicating effectively with them. I am constantly having to intuallectualize what their facial reactions mean. Any social talent I have is intuallectually generated.

Is there anyone out there that actually has been diagnosed with Asperger's?

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't sound like Aspergers, it sounds like you're just really really self-absorbed.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:52 PM

I am actually smarter than most other people, PERIOD. I may just be an [censored] as you say, but much of what I read I think really is true about me. Is even it possible I could just have a mild case of it?

Also, I do care what people think - people important to me, but don't really identify with social constructs and dont' interact normally with people in conversations.

People say that they think they are talking right through me in conversation.

Also, I have bombed every hearing test I have had, but that is because I am moderately hearing impaired!

I do however agree that I likely do just have assholery.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I do however agree that I likely do just have assholery.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be both.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:22 AM

Do you think it's possible for someone to have asperger's and excell in a sales position for many years being the top of the top, excellent communicator with clients but then when it comes to any other social gathering event/party you always get the feeling your all alone and having nothing to talk about and cannot keep up with the flow of conversations. Also very hard to explain feelings and or put thoughts into words. Always felt like there was a difference between me and other people always felt very dumb or retarded because always pronounced words wrong or could never use the right word to describe a certain object ext. They say if you have asberger's you have a hard time communicating, but in sales i feel that whatever is affecting my mind has helped me to excell and wouldnt have been as productive as i've been without it. Recently I have been losing interest in my sales job that I have held for 10 years and see myself not giving the same effort and enthusiasm as well as it shows in my pay. Do you think this might also be part of the syndrome that I have to be highly interested in doing something to be hyper sucessfull at it?