Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Barney Frank to Seek Poker \"carveout\"

Poker isn't going to be accepted by your typical person anyways. You can try to hide behind "skill", but sorry that's not really accurate. Their are plenty of sports bettors who are skilled. If you go to a typical place and tell people that poker is not gambling and that sports betting is people will laugh you right out. Rightfully so, a lot of people have lost a lot of money playing poker. Be as optimistic as you want but poker won't get a carve out and rightfully so.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker isn't going to be accepted by your typical person anyways. You can try to hide behind "skill", but sorry that's not really accurate. Their are plenty of sports bettors who are skilled. If you go to a typical place and tell people that poker is not gambling and that sports betting is people will laugh you right out. Rightfully so, a lot of people have lost a lot of money playing poker. Be as optimistic as you want but poker won't get a carve out and rightfully so.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much have you lost, fish?
Old 04-03-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How much have you lost, fish?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to much. I play poker here and there for fun. I have followed all of the UIGEA stuff though because it has a effect on myself not dealing with poker. I am just a realist, some people don't like that but oh well. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am just a realist, some people don't like that but oh well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you should understand that sports betting in the US will always be associated with point shaving, match fixing, and scandal.

The beautiful and fair game of poker doesn't need that type of burden. It can only hinder.

I wish you luck legalizing your sports betting, but aside from the uncertain legality, has nothing in common with poker.

I'm proud of the poker industry, I can't say that about sports betting.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:09 PM

Poker is gambling, it's already hindered. As for fixed games and such, [censored] happens. Whether you can bet sports online legally or not there is this big place called Las Vegas (among others) where people can bet sports. My point is don't pretend like poker isn't gambling BECAUSE IT IS. In fact I remember someone saying poker is the crack/cocaine of online gambling. Addictive as hell, I would have to agree with that. I think people should be able to do what they want with their own money so I am against any law like the UIGEA but poker is most definantely gambling.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In fact I remember someone saying poker is the crack/cocaine of online gambling. Addictive as hell, I would have to agree with that.

[/ QUOTE ]
O RLY? How many professional crack users do you know?
Old 04-04-2007, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is gambling, it's already hindered. As for fixed games and such, [censored] happens. Whether you can bet sports online legally or not there is this big place called Las Vegas (among others) where people can bet sports. My point is don't pretend like poker isn't gambling BECAUSE IT IS. In fact I remember someone saying poker is the crack/cocaine of online gambling. Addictive as hell, I would have to agree with that. I think people should be able to do what they want with their own money so I am against any law like the UIGEA but poker is most definantely gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Driving down the road is gambling. What's your point? If you're trying to compare skill vs. gambling in poker and sports betting, there is really no comparison.

Making a long term profit playing poker is not all that difficult for folks willing to put in the study time. Making a long term profit in sports betting is rare. Just ask Stu Ungar if you can get in touch with him.

As an affiliate, I'd like to see it all legalized, but a poker carveout would be a great start. The fact that long term poker results are determined by skill, not luck/gambling is a good argument. Whether it will happen or not is another thing...

Anywhoooooo -- if your point is simply that poker has gambling in it, we got ya. If on the other hand you think that poker is just gambling or on par with things like sports betting, you'd be wrong.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's like my eyes are open for the first time. Man, what a relief. Thanks to you and those laughing typical-place fellows, I can have a life.

Checkers anyone?
Old 04-03-2007, 08:12 PM

I could have post something like "YAY, THE BAN IS GOING TO END". LOL, realistically, poker isn't getting a carve out. Some people see what they want to see and others see what is there. Some people try to say that the UIGEA doesn't even include poker. Realistically all of the public poker room actions (pulling out of the US market), kind of say otherwise. Frank has ZERO chance of getting anything through.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Realistically all of the public poker room actions (pulling out of the US market), kind of say otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

So this is why I can't find a game.