Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 05:52 PM

Default Re: 9T from MP, hit second pair...how do we play this?

[ QUOTE ]
If he did hit a J, he probably calls your push. I doubt you'll get credit for an A unless villain isn't paying attention. I think you messed up the flop here, I'd probably play a little tight and just call 200 and see a river.

[/ QUOTE ]

yah,
in all honesty i'm not calling or raising 100% here. i feel like i'm quite happy doing a mental coin flip and just picking one on that turn. of course i hate the flop play but on that turn calling and pushing aren't that different, and i'm not talking about having a small leak. i just think if you always play this the same it sux.

also, yes sometimes you can check that flop behind with an Ace and confuse him... but most of the time you should bet(cause it already looking like a steal a little since you are in position)
Old 04-03-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he did hit a J, he probably calls your push. I doubt you'll get credit for an A unless villain isn't paying attention. I think you messed up the flop here, I'd probably play a little tight and just call 200 and see a river.

[/ QUOTE ]

So checking the flop with an Ace would be an awesome play if I never get credit for it!

So you call the turn, do you call the river bet (maybe 300) if the river is an irrelevant card?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure is, slowplay can work great. Tough call on the river if a blank hits for you. You don't know enough about him to know if he's capable of firing a second barrel on a bluff.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tough call on the river if a blank hits for you. You don't know enough about him to know if he's capable of firing a second barrel on a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

He might be holding a J or a T with a better kicker and value betting the river so I get in trouble too...I doubt he bluff the river if he has no pair, since it's a little bit scary if I call the turn...doesn't look like I have a draw on a board having AJ7T...Any broadway card has a piece of the board on the turn...I will have to pay any blocking bet which is far more likely...so I will have to pay 200 again if I miss (60% of the time) and I get paid 200 more if I hit (40%). A small raise gives me 2 chances to win the pot..on the turn and on the river if I miss and also gives me a chance to get my stack in if I hit the river. I'm not sure if a push is better but feel like raising is better.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
$69+6 on FTP, no hand history but fairly simple and interesting given the board/action.

Blinds : 20-40.

relevant Stacks:
Hero - MP: 1,240
Vilain - BB: 1,680

Folded to Hero, raise 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] to 120, folded to BB he calls.

Pot = 260

Flop : A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks, Hero?

Do you like to PF raise?
Why bet or why check behind?

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright...I played this bad so this is what happened...it went check-check on the flop...flame me! I know that if I raise this PF, I have to be willing to play it right.

Turn J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Sb bets 200. I have 17 outs if I'm right (9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2 Tens, 3 nines, 3 eights).

Do I push or a 500-600 bet looks more scary for him? Leaving me with only 400-500.

Edit...the Flop had a 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], not a 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

I decided to raise the turn to 550, Vilain calls.

River 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Vilain checks.

I know I am beat like 99.9% here, do I have any FE?
Old 04-03-2007, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I decided to raise the turn to 550, Vilain calls.

River 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Vilain checks.

I know I am beat like 99.9% here, do I have any FE?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. But at these blinds you're not dead if you have to let it go either. I had him on KJ or QJ pf so you're getting called on the river. I'd surrender and work up from a shorter stack with an odd table image...