Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2007, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Wheee, I\'m a calling station! Final table.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Generally I hate being a mid stack on the final table. I'd much rather be either tiny, or a monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant for ease of play.

I'd rather gamble a little (by checking this flop) in this hand and be either extremely big or extremely small. It makes decisions easier for the rest of the ft. Either I'm a pushbot ministack, or a monster robber. For me, either of these is much easier than playing poker as a midstack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? So what happens when we pushbot our ministack, double up and become a midstack? Are we then not happy because it's more complicated to play? hmmmmmm
Old 04-03-2007, 12:31 PM

I actually like the line, except I usually value bet the river. He opened in MP, and called a raise. I would put him somewhere around 77+, AJs+. So you are wa/wb on the flop. By betting the flop, you will probably win the least from 88-KK, and lose the most to AK and AA. You will win the most against AJ, likely.

Once villain checks behind the turn, it's safe to say, IMO, that you are ahead. So then the question is, what line gets the most $$ out of villain on the river. My default play would be a value bet of around 1/2 pot. I think most villains are checking behind with 99-KK here, but will call one bet, due to the way you have underrepped your hand. I would need a read that villain is able to make thin value bets or is willing to try to push me off of an ace to check.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Generally I hate being a mid stack on the final table. I'd much rather be either tiny, or a monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant for ease of play.

I'd rather gamble a little (by checking this flop) in this hand and be either extremely big or extremely small. It makes decisions easier for the rest of the ft. Either I'm a pushbot ministack, or a monster robber. For me, either of these is much easier than playing poker as a midstack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? So what happens when we pushbot our ministack, double up and become a midstack? Are we then not happy because it's more complicated to play? hmmmmmm

[/ QUOTE ]
We're not unhappy, we're just in a situation that is much more difficult strategically because we now have a lot more options as to what we can do, which means we can make a lot more mistakes by picking suboptimal choices.

If you're down to like 5-6 BB's, you pretty much make 1 decision per hand, and it's hard for that decision to be suboptimal as long as you have any sort of half-decent understanding of EV. If you have a huge stack, you can afford to make a few mistakes without significantly impacting your prize equity.

When you're a midstack, it's quite easy to make 1 mistake that ends up seriously screwing you up down the road in a hand because you can get pot committed "by accident" really quickly.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:11 PM

i guess i'm betting out the river after the turn check/check cause i'd be worried it goes check check again. either way i guess if you get to the river without betting just call as i'm not sure a raise is good for you here.

actually, bet the flop or check/raise the flop.

i'm a calling station and i don't even like this line too much...