Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Republicans on Habeus Corpus

[ QUOTE ]
Meh, nice thread hijack.

Well, I guess I found out what I came here to ask, which is that nobody here will defend the idea of ignoring habeus corpus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, yeah, you're definitely not going to find anyone around here to defend removal of habeus corpus. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Meh, nice thread hijack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what they are here for
Old 04-03-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Meh, nice thread hijack.

Well, I guess I found out what I came here to ask, which is that nobody here will defend the idea of ignoring habeus corpus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not gonna happen around here. I know I sure as hell won't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it an important enough issue for everyone that they will be a one-issue voter on it? Will people not vote for Romney or Giuliani solely on the basis of these comments? It would be that serious for me.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Meh, nice thread hijack.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't a hijack at all. It was the natural place the thread went when you revealed that your own positions are totally inconsistent whilst ragging on others for being so obviously stoopit.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Meh, nice thread hijack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not gonna happen around here. I know I sure as hell won't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it an important enough issue for everyone that they will be a one-issue voter on it? Will people not vote for Romney or Giuliani solely on the basis of these comments? It would be that serious for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for the general populous. I am a pretty liberal guy and will not try and put myself as a man of the people. I would hope it would be enough to sway people away from those folk. I truly think that Guliani is the most dangerous candidate in this election. That being said, I plan on voting 3rd party in this election. Or possibly Ron Paul on the outside chance he gets the nod. I would hope people agree with me, but I could not get a group of my fellow high school students(in '04) to vote to repeal the patriot act in a government simulation. The security over civil rights mentality is ingrained into a lot of people.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the US chock full of people completely clueless about the need for the most basic civil liberties?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have noticed the two parties we have in power, right?
Old 04-03-2007, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and has certainly turned out well.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you call the brutual subjucation of another nation "turning out well". I suppose the eradication of the Indians also went well. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Lincoln was tackling a civil war.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because the victors like to call it a civil war doesn't make it true. Prior to the so-called Civil War, thr right of states to seceed wasn't questioned. Since they had this right, that made the so-called Civil War the invasion of a neighboring country.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that instance of suspension of habeas corpus is so completely different to the present day. Lincoln was tackling a civil war.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, a war that he started. His removal of habeus corpus was both less warranted (not that it's ever actually warranted) and worse in magnitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

We started the war in Iraq via the last 50 years of our foreign policy.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, we were all taught to worship this guy:

Who arrested some 13,000 northern civillians and held them in military prisons without trial.

The point being, emphatically no, people do not understand the importance of individual liberties. The majority, raised in government schools to believe that governments can and do solve problems, are more than willing to trade freedom for security, and as a result, get neither.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
"The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it."

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-03-2007, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Serious question: How is it that there is ANYONE in the US willing to vote for people who say they will ignore the writ of habeus corpus "infrequently", or (more contemptible still) say they will need to consult people with working brains before they can issue an opinion on whether habeus corpus is a good idea? Is the US chock full of people completely clueless about the need for the most basic civil liberties? Isn't the protection of the freedom of the individual supposed to be the rock on which your country is founded?

I really don't get it. Is there anyone here willing to defend the idea that habeus corpus is one of those things you can just ignore when you don't feel like respecting it?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Lincoln was in a tough spot, what he did might have been correct and has certainly turned out well. Anyway I don't want this thread to get hijacked by a debate over what Lincoln should or shouldn't have done, because that instance of suspension of habeas corpus is so completely different to the present day. Lincoln was tackling a civil war.

[/ QUOTE ]