Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2007, 08:32 PM

Default MMOB - Lend Me Your Tech Knowledge

I have been reading along and learning a lot. And now after reviewing a few ideas with a few friends, now probable partners, we have come up with some ideas.

Now, as I know most of you have web design, and webApp experience we are asking for your help.

We have come up with a few ideas. Two of which will be basically blogs with some adsense thrown in. I have read some other things at Wickedfire, and we may look into other sources of revenue.

Our other idea is a much larger project. Basically, we are looking to use a database for movies and other such ideas. And basically we want users to write reviews and offer comments. And this is where we are lost.

I have been trying to read up on MySQL and PHP, but I'm not sure I have found the proper solution. Basically, what we need is a database, and then have a user login system so that users can create a basic profile, and write reviews.

So, basically do any of you guys have experience in creating this sort of site?

If so do you have any ideas what we can do to solve the problem? Any places to find someone to do this kind of work? Freelance or anything of the such?

Finally, do you have any books or anything that I can read to find out about this kind of information? Or perhaps other posts online?

Thanks a lot for your help in moving me further up the contributors to this forum.

-Leebert
Old 04-02-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Re: MMOB - Lend Me Your Tech Knowledge

Sounds to me like you guys are looking for a CMS (Content Management System) solution. There are tons of free ones out there (Joomla/e107/PHPNuke) or you could have a custom one created for around 1k. With those free CMS solutions you can usually find a community management plugin or some sort.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:15 PM

Thanks!

Do you happen to have any links for more information, or where to get those CMS systems. I'd love to give it a shot myself, both for saving money and for experience.

Thanks again. Anyone else have any input?

-Leebert
Old 04-02-2007, 10:48 PM

Are you trying to do a rotten tomatoes type of site then?
Old 04-02-2007, 11:51 PM

Obviously Google escapes you.

OpenSource CMS

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks!

Do you happen to have any links for more information, or where to get those CMS systems. I'd love to give it a shot myself, both for saving money and for experience.

Thanks again. Anyone else have any input?

-Leebert

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-03-2007, 02:21 AM

elus : Somewhat yes. Not exactly like rotten tomatoes but some basic features of that will be included.

Alltimed: Thanks for the reply. Didn't mean to make you do all the searching or anything, I thought maybe you knew of an e-book or something about that sort of stuff. I have googled Joomla before, as someone suggested it for a previous project idea.