Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2007, 09:18 PM

Default A couple questions from a noob

Hey,

I'm very new to O8 live ring games. I'm playing small stakes in FL ($2 max bet on all streets, 3 raises caps it) and need to get a book to increase my learning curve. I'll do a search for some good books when I get a chance.

Anyway, from <20 hours I've seen some stuff that brings the following questions to mind:

1) Is A2XX, in general, -EV? Clearly there could be a huge range of hands there, so maybe my question is more about shooting for the low? I've already seen plenty of pots quartered for the tied low, and I've split the low with 3 others players twice already. I feel like I should be playing to scoop way, way more than calling down to make a nut low.

2) How much weaker is AAKK no suited compared to suited? I was dealt AAKK today with no suited cards and it felt downright weak compared to a LHE hand. I'm drawing to four cards or 10-J-Q. If an A comes I make trips but it helps the low. Thoughts?

3) How much tighter ought one play than LHE? What % of flops should I be seeing, or for Poker Tracker heads, what should my VP$IP be?

Thanks
Old 04-02-2007, 11:44 PM

Default Re: A couple questions from a noob

[ QUOTE ]

1) Is A2XX, in general, -EV? Clearly there could be a huge range of hands there, so maybe my question is more about shooting for the low? I've already seen plenty of pots quartered for the tied low, and I've split the low with 3 others players twice already. I feel like I should be playing to scoop way, way more than calling down to make a nut low.

[/ QUOTE ]
A2xx is profitable only with skillful post-flop play. That goes double for limit. Put on the gas when you've got a scooper, be very careful when you're in a 3 way pot and have a low draw, or even a made low with no backup.

[ QUOTE ]

2) How much weaker is AAKK no suited compared to suited? I was dealt AAKK today with no suited cards and it felt downright weak compared to a LHE hand. I'm drawing to four cards or 10-J-Q. If an A comes I make trips but it helps the low. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

About 15% of the time, you will flop a flush or a flush draw with a DS hand. You will flop a flush draw or made flush about zero percent of the time with a rainbow. That's not a 15% improvement, since flush draws sometimes do not come.

With AAKK rainbow, you can see a flop cheaply if a bunch of other people are likely to to the same. If you don't flop trips, get out. If you flop trips, read the board and determine what bullets you need to dodge till the river.
[ QUOTE ]

3) How much tighter ought one play than LHE? What % of flops should I be seeing, or for Poker Tracker heads, what should my VP$IP be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try o8poker.com, or buy a book or two. See other posts in this forum for hands to avoid.

Good luck.