Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2007, 03:09 PM

Default Re: NHL Down The stretch

[ QUOTE ]
Can't believe I just found this thread. I guess everyone in here will be happy that I didn't get the opportunity to post million's of expletives after the Leafs blew that 4-1 lead against Buffalo.
It's incredible the Leafs can play so bad and still have control over there fate. They better beat the Flyers and Islanders because I'm going to the Leafs Habs games this Saturday.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a huge game that could be, enjoy it. Just adding a little more leaf love to the thread.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DonkeyKong, I would love to hear what Lou's done wrong with regard to the cap. Absolutely everything he's done has been legal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, he did get stopped on his latest shenanigans when the Korolyuk trade was cancelled. A couple very questionable moves off the top of my head...

- The original Korolyuk-Malakhov trade was essentially trading cap space and retired players, both of which are not legal under the CBA. Only made it through on the technicality that those guys aren't declared as retired even though neither is playing in America.
- The whole Mogilny long term IR thing...as far as I've heard, it's pretty much BS.

There's more I'd have to do research on, but basically it was near impossible for him to stay under the cap. Then near impossible to resign everyone under the cap. And he did on both by playing BS loophole games. Every other team respects the retirement and LTIR rules, but Lou was allowed to fudge them all he wanted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Malakhov wasn't retired and he was under contract for that season. Where's the problem, exactly? It was Malakhov's choice not to file his papers - although he claimed that he wouldn't pass a physical anyway. Korolyuk wasn't cap space - he didn't need to be traded to New Jersey, and New Jersey had no interest in playing him at any time.

Mogilny was on one leg when he signed last year - he has a degenerative hip condition, and I have no doubts that he couldn't play NHL hockey this season.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

Martin Brodeur 100% had a lot to do with this. He for whatever reason must not like Claude. Lou is really just Matin's tool. Brodeur runs the New Jersey Devils.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your wrong here, Claude Julien got along well with Brodeur.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DonkeyKong, I would love to hear what Lou's done wrong with regard to the cap. Absolutely everything he's done has been legal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, he did get stopped on his latest shenanigans when the Korolyuk trade was cancelled. A couple very questionable moves off the top of my head...

- The original Korolyuk-Malakhov trade was essentially trading cap space and retired players, both of which are not legal under the CBA. Only made it through on the technicality that those guys aren't declared as retired even though neither is playing in America.
- The whole Mogilny long term IR thing...as far as I've heard, it's pretty much BS.

There's more I'd have to do research on, but basically it was near impossible for him to stay under the cap. Then near impossible to resign everyone under the cap. And he did on both by playing BS loophole games. Every other team respects the retirement and LTIR rules, but Lou was allowed to fudge them all he wanted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Malakhov wasn't retired and he was under contract for that season. Where's the problem, exactly? It was Malakhov's choice not to file his papers - although he claimed that he wouldn't pass a physical anyway. Korolyuk wasn't cap space - he didn't need to be traded to New Jersey, and New Jersey had no interest in playing him at any time.

Mogilny was on one leg when he signed last year - he has a degenerative hip condition, and I have no doubts that he couldn't play NHL hockey this season.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Korolyuk-Malakhov trade was Player Who Won't Ever Play in the NHL Again and Doesn't Need to be Paid + Some $500K Schlub With No NHL Future for $3.6 Million Player Who Won't Ever Play in the NHL Again + a 1st Round Draft Pick. That nets out to a Schlub and $3.1 Million in Cap Space for a 1st round pick. Which means basically this was a way to trade cap space for a draft pick through a bunch of loopholes.

The Mogilny thing...whatever. Lou needs to man up like the other teams and pay for his "retired" players. Stop pretending like guys are going to be coming back eventually so that you can play games with their cap hits.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

Martin Brodeur 100% had a lot to do with this. He for whatever reason must not like Claude. Lou is really just Matin's tool. Brodeur runs the New Jersey Devils.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your wrong here, Claude Julien got along well with Brodeur.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not believe this for a second. Sources?

Either way Mr.Peanut is a real bozo. I don't see this being a rational move.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:06 PM

BTW please stop talking about the leafs. I was asking who we thought of as contenders. The fact that the piss poor leafs might sneak into the playoffs (20% chance IMO).

I still think that Ottawa is the favorite. If Ray stays healthy.

Look at the Western Conf. These teams will all play 7 games every round.

Eastern Conf. Will win the cup.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just hypocritical that the NHL wants injuries disclosed and bans the trading of cash/cap space, and then allows that trade to go through. There should have been a step somewhere that would have forced the trade to be vetoed. I know it's legal, but it shouldn't have happened.

This is coming from a Sharks fan.... the biggest abusers of the "lower body injury" roster-size abuse and gainers of the 1st round pick.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I still think that Ottawa is the favorite. If Ray stays healthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmmmmmm?

....you mean the Ray you just make go side to side and its over?

...I do like Ottawa, they have good overall speed and skill players, they will be dangerous ....but it wont rest on Ray...

...the way it looks 1 of the 3 scariest teams Buffalo can face will be eliminated in the 1st round (Ottawa, NJ, Pittsburgh) as they will be 4 & 5...best overall for Buffalo is these guys beat the piss out of each other and we pick up a quick 1st round victory like most people are saying against which ever team claws into 8 spot
Old 04-02-2007, 05:31 PM

[censored], I don't care anymore. I WANT THE PLAYOFFS TO START TODAY!!!!!! Can't wait... I'm going to be watching games all night, every night. I'm definitely going to go up to San Jose for a couple of games.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[censored], I don't care anymore. I WANT THE PLAYOFFS TO START TODAY!!!!!! Can't wait... I'm going to be watching games all night, every night. I'm definitely going to go up to San Jose for a couple of games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree....but having Center Ice and watching all the battles in the East is good, cant wait for the real thing...

...I also have tickets for the playoffs, so thats pushing my anxiousness or course...

...I kinda hope Toronto hits the 8 seed so I can severely overcharge there fans for my seats for at least one game to cover my entire cost for the playoffs!!!!