Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2007, 12:25 AM

Default Live game question

Hey guys, I play at a "home game" for $1/$2 stakes. Full table NL holdem at a building a bunch of guys rented for the soul purpose of playing poker. Tuesday night's cash game usually gets 2 full tables going. Here's my question / problem.

Starts at six pm, from six - ten pm max buy in is $100, after ten its $200. reason is b/c the average stack by ten pm is prolly $500. These guys are crazy. They will raise $16 pf w/ A9s b/c "its a good hand" They are crazy agg and the av. pf raise is prolly $10... every time pf... at least. How would you guys play in this situation. I have been playign extreemly tight, making a small proffit, but is there any way to take advantage of these mistakes these guys are making to make a big +EV? Thanks
Old 04-02-2007, 06:32 AM

Default Re: Live game question

LAG it up, be more willing to gamble in thin +EV situations, play more marginal hands with position, cultivate a more aggressive gambling image as nits don't get action with monsters, etc... etc... good luck
Old 04-02-2007, 07:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LAG it up, be more willing to gamble in thin +EV situations, play more marginal hands with position, cultivate a more aggressive gambling image as nits don't get action with monsters, etc... etc... good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

only attempt this if you are confident about playing in this way. If you attempt it for the first time and you usually play a tight you will simply be giving chips away unnecessarily.

Play tight, play loose you will make money but the most important thing is almost always avoid playing out of position and play AQ,AK cautiously in EP I would suggest limping them both for the following reasons:

1. you won't isolate by raising, the same amount of people will see the flop but the pot will be massive for a hand that is looking to make 1 pair.

2. you will trap weak players into paying you off when they are out-kicked
Old 04-02-2007, 01:27 PM

yeah i kinda agree but it feels totally opposite of the way i play online... online is against good payers so you know they arnt calling $12 pf w/ T4s .... where as at this live game its litterally any two cards against these guys... its tough but i still enjoy the dead money.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:36 PM

I generally tighten up a lot in games like this. If you are up against people who will float your CB, then CB less when they're in the hand. Also, I find that AK and esp AQ lose a lot of value out of the blinds. I will still raise w/ AK and CB less on a missed flop, and check or smooth call AQ and dump on any missed flop. Against tighter players, these hand values go up because they are more likely to fold to your CB. Good luck!
Old 04-02-2007, 03:02 PM

you mentioned they are aggressive and bring it in for a raise almost over hand but how many people are seeing the flop on average?
Old 04-02-2007, 04:39 PM

usually 4-5 players see the flop on average. Sometimes its just limped all the way round, im the only one who folded in ep lol, sometimes utg makes it $12 and gets 7 callers, i mean its very lag, but more L then the AG
Old 04-02-2007, 04:41 PM

one guy there last night called another guys all in (with about $150) with 23 off suite. just because "if i suck out on you with this hand, your goning to hate me... i call" He did win lol, but the other guy had QQ.... I mean the group of guys are just crazy... and redic stuipid. I however dont like to gambol much.... i mean, im not trying to get in coin flips or -ev spots just for fun....
Old 04-02-2007, 05:38 PM

with players this terrible you will want to see a lot of flops since you can take advantage of their horrible post flop play. Position becomes even more important in a game this loose/aggressive. High cards lose a lot of value in this type of game and suited connectors and pocket pairs become much more valuable. Just play ABC poker and you will be a big winner in that game.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
one guy there last night called another guys all in (with about $150) with 23 off suite. just because "if i suck out on you with this hand, your goning to hate me... i call" He did win lol, but the other guy had QQ.... I mean the group of guys are just crazy... and redic stuipid. I however dont like to gambol much.... i mean, im not trying to get in coin flips or -ev spots just for fun....

[/ QUOTE ]

Simple. Learn to play a trapping game and make a fortune. You can win an enormous amount of money if you have patience. Sorta like playing the opposite of online poker. Let them come to you, spider, and they will fall right into the trap.