Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Class of 2011

I officially got accepted to UCSD, but for the winter quarter. I don't understand why I'm not in for the fall one. It seems weird to me, maybe somebody could explain it, and if it's normal or not. Here is what they sent me:

[ QUOTE ]
Dear Tiburon,

On behalf of the faculty, staff and students of the University of California, San Diego, I congratulate you on your admission to Warren College as a major in Joint Major Mathematics & Econ for Winter Quarter, 2008! UC San Diego is one of the nation's most outstanding universities, and we look forward to welcoming you to our campus.

Winter Quarter admission is offered to students like yourself, whose admission ranking score falls outside the parameters for our limited number of Fall Quarter places.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this mean my credentials weren't good enough? Here they are in case they are relevant: Straight A's, 4.0+ GPA, 2010 SAT, 750 SATII (Level 2 Math), 4 years basektball.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:33 PM

tib - maybe your classes weren't hard enough?

and i know this is a shot in the dark, but if any of you guys are trickers/breakers or interested in it, hit me up and we'll def. session together.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:25 PM

Where ever you go, make the best of it. It's up to you to make the best of your college experience. That's just my advice.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:21 PM

High school senior here as well. Goin' to Christian Brothers University here in Memphis next year.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:45 PM

Probably attending SUNY Binghamton, possibly Syracuse. Having trouble deciding between these two and Uconn as well.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tib - maybe your classes weren't hard enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are a few that I took (passed all with A's): Alg II, Trig, Pre-Calculus Honors, Stats & Probability, Government, US History, World History, Econ, Physics, Chem, English. I didn't take many honors/AP classes, though so that probably didn't help. So you're saying that not being accepted for the fall was because of my classes or test scores and isn't some sort of common thing for incoming freshman?
Old 03-30-2007, 01:30 AM

Anyone here from any of these schools: UCSB, UCSD, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Cal Poly Pomona, Pepperdine, Lehigh, or Occidental. I've been accepted to all of these schools, and I need to decide in the next month which one I should go to. If anyone is from these schools, could you tell me a little about it from the student's perspective, how you like it, etc.? Any advice appreciated, thx
Old 03-30-2007, 09:34 AM

haven't gone to any of those schools, but I did end up playing basketball in college.... it's not worth it, go to school and live it up man. I went to the University of Florida for 2 years and then decided to go play ball, I played at two D-2 schools, and it's just not fun anymore @ that level. They own your life year round, no spring breaks b/c the tournament is during that time, no x-mas breaks, no thanksgiving breaks, etc, etc, etc.... it's not worth it man, there are parts that I miss about it, sure, but all in all I had more fun when I was at UF as a regular student.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:52 PM

Ya it's something that I've been thinking a lot about lately. I've enjoyed playing ball during high school, but it's a major commitment that takes up almost all of my free time. From the beginning of my junior season to the end of my senior one, I had a total of 5 or 6 weeks off of basketball, and that's including summer. I'm sure the commitment is just as bad in college.

I just wonder if I'll regret later on if I decide not to play. Then again, will I regret missing out on college experiences because of basketball? It's something I'll have to figure out for myself. Anyways, it would be a stretch for me to play D2 and a longshot for D1, so I might not make it anyway.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:34 PM

uhhh you're a senior in high school and you've already decided what you want to do with your life?

come on man...take classes and figure out what you like. FWIW when i came to Michigan i planned on going to the b-school, but after i took some classes i realized that i liked reading and writing better than my econ class.