Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2007, 09:58 AM

Default Re: How many of you have been or are in the military?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah well, if you guys have any brains I can't imagine you would want to waste your life being just a little piece of machinery with little or no option of independent thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spoken like somebody who's never been there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been in the army, not in the American one but nevertheless. Good for you if you got to use your brains as much as you liked but a huge percentage of the jobs they have to offer do not require a whole lot of thinking after you've got the hang of it. Correct me if I'm wrong and please do so with more elegance than what you did with that other dude, calling him princess.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:14 AM

I was in the army for a few years after HS. I would agree with the posters who are saying if you're intelligent then the military (at least enlisted) is a pretty horrible choice of a career.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was in the army for a few years after HS. I would agree with the posters who are saying if you're intelligent then the military (at least enlisted) is a pretty horrible choice of a career.

[/ QUOTE ]

i joined the Af to get a trade, not to be a solider, thinking that there will always be airplanes, so they will always need mech's.
I have taken off every piece of a c130 that can be take off, and put it back on.
for a good stint there i completly stripped the inside with 3 other guys, and refurbished it to brand new. Some jobs require alot, some dont.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just got out of Navy Bootcamp on the 13th of march. I was seperated after 3 months for asthma[ QUOTE ]

3 months are you serious...what a joke dude, i did 6 years and thats not even alot, i didnt even feel like i was in until about 2 years in when it all started to click

[ QUOTE ]
Screw a country that is going to use you until they find out you aren't of any use to them then throw you out on the street without any basic medical care.

i was medically discharged, i get paid every month on the first, and they pay for school, and pay me to go. i get close to 2,200 a month because the military thought i wasnt fir to severe. Not to mention free medical care, and it cost less than 30 dollars a moth to get it for my wife.
if you would have been afford some more time you would have learned these things.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm honestly considering writing a book about my experiences because I feel it is a HUGE injustice how the military treats it's enlisted members.

[/ QUOTE ]

you got a bad beat, there is no way it can be as bad as mine tho..just nature of the game. And trust me noone will read your book about 90 days in the military.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm honestly considering writing a book about my experiences because I feel it is a HUGE injustice how the military treats it's enlisted members.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just what the world needs: a book by a basic training reject about the real military! Also, before you start writing you might want to learn how to use paragraphs.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:02 PM

Grew up military.Old man retired SGM Army aviation.An Khe,Pleiku in Vietnam.!st Air Cav?Myself 4 years Air Force.6 years reserve.Panama,Langley,Ramstein.My brother 's a firefighter.That's as close as I have ever seen to the comraderie in the military.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:15 PM

If your in it obviously you are going to defend it. I'm not crying about my experience I just consider myself lucky that I got out. My opinion on the navy doesn't come from solely my personal experience. I got to see what people were like and had to say about the navy that had been in it. The large majority of enlisted members did not want to be in the navy but had come to terms with it and just looked forward to getting out. Many people are counting down the days. Others genuinely enjoyed living underwater with all men on a submarine 3 months at a time; if that is you then go for it. I can say because i was there and saw what they tried to feed me and what they had already fed others that it is not something anyone of normal intelligence should subject themselves to.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If your in it obviously you are going to defend it. I'm not crying about my experience I just consider myself lucky that I got out. My opinion on the navy doesn't come from solely my personal experience. I got to see what people were like and had to say about the navy that had been in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the Navy or you?

What's really relevant is that you signed up for Military Service. That you got confused about the term, "service" is understandable. You thought the Military was there to provide a service to you, rather than the other way around. If you look through your contract, you enlisted to serve. One more time, "to serve."

You signed up to "serve" your country. You're the one who reneged on the deal. You've given your hand away - everything you've said is all about you - not the unit, i.e. you're country.

Probably a concept that's below your highly intellectual capabilities.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
question for the military guys, how old is to old to get started in a career? Ie, if I wanted to join at the age of 26, w/ the specific goal of being special forces, or black ops type stuff etc, is it too late?

[/ QUOTE ]

The AirForce special forces are called the tac-p i think, they seemed cool, i thought of going that way. There was also Sirs instructors, which train all the special forces in survival, that seemed the most intresting to me, but i changed my mind at the last moment...those would be 2 to look at tho

[/ QUOTE ]

This information is incorrect. TAC-Ps (Terminal Air Control Party) are not considered an Air Force Special Operations asset.

The Air Force Special Operations operators are Para Rescue (PJ), Combat Controllers (CCT) and Combat Weather.

Also, the AF SEAR (Survival Evasion Resistance and Escape) instructors do not instruct special operations operators from all branches. In addition, these instructors do not fall under Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC).
Old 04-04-2007, 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
question for the military guys, how old is to old to get started in a career? Ie, if I wanted to join at the age of 26, w/ the specific goal of being special forces, or black ops type stuff etc, is it too late?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not too old, but getting there. The max age to join SF is 30, so by the time you finished with Basic, AIT, and jump school you'd be pretty close to the cutoff. If you were determined you could definitely do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone in SF or something similar? What branch does the coolest stuff? what branch would you go into if you wanted to go into intelligence or the cia? Im 24 now, and have given myself abotu a year and a half to figure out what I want to do for teh rest of my life, and the military seems like a decent option as Im pretty once track minded if I can find something that requires a ton of work and is structured. I have a Bachelors of science degree, and will have an MBA by the tiem I decide btw, dont know how that factors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been in intelligence operations for 6+ years with experience in some of the other things you are interested in. Most of the time it's not nearly as exciting as you'd think.

If you're serious though, it's not that hard to at least get looked at.