Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2007, 03:12 AM

Default Let\'s talk poker tracker

I don't use Poker Tracker or any poker programs besides Check Your Bets and my Excel spreadsheet of week-to-week win/loss records.

I always dismissed those type of programs because I assumed they give players an unreasonable edge. Then, I heard that some players view the game from the same ethical standpoint as me, but use the information provided while they are away from the table to help them make better decisions in the future.

Could anybody here explain what those advanages are, and how they have helped you? Thanks.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:45 AM

Default Re: Let\'s talk poker tracker

[ QUOTE ]
some players... use the information provided while they are away from the table to help them make better decisions in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-01-2007, 05:45 AM

I don't think it's an unreasonable edge, especially if online sites allow it. If it's not against the rules for the site providing the game, then there's no problem with it. There's nothing wrong with getting every edge you can as long as you are not cheating the rules of the game. For online sites, it is not cheating.

Besides, a losing player who used pokertracker will still be a losing player.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:48 AM

poker tracker offers a rediculous amount of information. buy it or download it for free and spend a few days looking through its functions. you will be amazed.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
poker tracker offers a rediculous amount of information. buy it or download it for free and spend a few days looking through its functions. you will be amazed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that - I have almost got to my 1000 free hands on the trial version and I will definitely be forking out for the $55 to buy a licence for it.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:27 AM

IMHO pokertracker is invaluable in plugging ones own leaks. Using it with a HUD is a bonus...that many people do indeed exploit. Don't feel bad about using it.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't use Poker Tracker or any poker programs besides Check Your Bets and my Excel spreadsheet of week-to-week win/loss records.

I always dismissed those type of programs because I assumed they give players an unreasonable edge. Then, I heard that some players view the game from the same ethical standpoint as me, but use the information provided while they are away from the table to help them make better decisions in the future.

Could anybody here explain what those advanages are, and how they have helped you? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very numerous advantages. Suppose you wonder whether you have been calling with too many hands in the big bind. Filter out your big blind hands where you call raises with certain hands and see which have been profitable and which have not been.

You wonder if calling a raise on the button is profitable with KJ suited in pots that or 4 handed or bigger?

etc, etc, etc, etc

If you have an email poker tutor you can send your hand histories for him to look at and critique. Or you can do it yourself. You can go back and look at hands you played 6 months ago and see how you might play them differently today.

Once you gather a big sample you can do all sorts of statistical analysis.

Plus, Poker Tracker is the best record keeper you will ever have.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wearing padding in pro football can give players a big edge over the others who are not wearing padding. But since wearing pads is not against the rules, and all winners wear padding, it is the thing to do.

Your argument would equate more to a ballplayer taking steroids, which are not legal. If poker tracker were illegal then it would be like taking steroids. But it isn't. It is a legal tool and you place yourself at a competitive handicap by not taking advantage of it.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wearing padding in pro football can give players a big edge over the others who are not wearing padding. But since wearing pads is not against the rules, and all winners wear padding, it is the thing to do.

Your argument would equate more to a ballplayer taking steroids, which are not legal. If poker tracker were illegal then it would be like taking steroids. But it isn't. It is a legal tool and you place yourself at a competitive handicap by not taking advantage of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've stopped using poker tracker and haven't used it in about a year and a half.

I'm still winning. How? By observation, I can tell who the good players are, who the calling stations are, and who the novice players are. With some more observation, I can tell which players are gambling it up and which are very tight-passive.

Competitive handicap is an extreme conclusion.

It's a good program and it keeps the best record of any database out there, but I don't think it's absolute necessity by any means. When I used it, I actually found it caused me to tilt more than without it. (You mean that fish played with that? I'll show him/her! Thus spewing more chips later.)

FWIW and YMMV