Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2007, 07:25 AM

Default Change of heart: Government and it\'s benefits

I couldn't take it any longer. For months now I haven't even been an ACist. I've just been going through the motions. I did originally become an ACist, but since then I've had thoughts against it, and decided that government actually is necesary. Honestly, I was too proud to admit that I was actually wrong in supporting ACism, so I figured I'd play along like I was. I can't do that anymore.

Voluntary solutions simply are not always best all the time. Sometimes governments, representing the people, can be used to make optimal solutions. Unlike the market, government can and will show the true preferences of the people through democracy. If you don't like the results, you can change them through voting. Since a majority of people voted for it, you can bet that it's the best solution. So what if the minority disagrees? Tyranny of the majority, I can't believe I convinced myself that was real. I'd rather have the tyranny of the majority then tyranny of the minority. The people, or society, through government have made their opinion heard, and that minority have an obligation to society to obey it or face the consequences. Hey, if you disagree, I hear Somalia is nice this time of year, Borodog and the rest can go over there and see what they think. Somalia is after all ACism in action, and attempts at ACism in a first world nation is bound to mirror that situation.

Government is also usually the best way to provide services. The government DOES know best, afterall it is of the people, and that's who it's in the business of servicing. This is contrary to private companys. They think of nothing but the profit motive. They're not there to serve consumers, as opposed to government.

Government many times is also needed to enforce moral clarity. Many people do not act morally without the force of government. A perfect example would be use of illegal (and thus immoral) drugs. We see that, more often then not, politicians get elected because the voters saw them as good people. If it wasn't for politicians legislating morallity and making dangerous drugs such as marijuanna illegal, and dealing out justice to those not fullfilling their obligation to society (defined as the actions made by government) society would be full of drug addicted, hedonistic barbarians.

A special thanks to my favorite posters (Copernicus, Linus, Skidoo, Smasharoo, Steven Bickford, they truly are the smartest posters on this forum) for making this post happen.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Change of heart: Government and it\'s benefits

I was pretty sure this was an april fool's post, but this is what made me certain:

[ QUOTE ]

Government many times is also needed to enforce moral clarity. Many people do not act morally without the force of government. A perfect example would be use of illegal (and thus immoral) drugs. We see that, more often then not, politicians get elected because the voters saw them as good people. If it wasn't for politicians legislating morallity and making dangerous drugs such as marijuanna illegal, and dealing out justice to those not fullfilling their obligation to society (defined as the actions made by government) society would be full of drug addicted, hedonistic barbarians.

[/ QUOTE ]

good effort though. You ALMOST do a fair job of arguing the other side.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:32 AM

There are no benefits with government, it is just something they let you think to steal your taxes.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was pretty sure this was an april fool's post, but this is what made me certain:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

good effort though. You ALMOST do a fair job of arguing the other side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, I knew this was an april fools joke from this:

[ QUOTE ]
Change of heart: Government and it's benefits

[/ QUOTE ]

For anyone who wasn't sure this clears it up big time:

[ QUOTE ]

A special thanks to my favorite posters (Copernicus, Linus, Skidoo, Smasharoo, Steven Bickford, they truly are the smartest posters on this forum) for making this post happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who was it who claimed government was needed for moral clarity? That was a classic post [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2007, 12:29 PM

Ha, you got me until you went on about Somalia. Then I realized the date. I was actually eagerly anticipating the refutation of ACism from the perspective of a former devotee.