Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2007, 10:07 AM

Default I need help

I've been playing poker for a year now. I turned $50 into $1500 and I think i understand the game well (as everyone else does [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]). Since february I've lost $400. The first $200 I've lost while i was playing good solid poker.
Since then I can't play my A-game any more. Whenever I play I have the impression I start with a loss of $400. I can't make any laydowns anymore and bluff at the wrong times. I've tried to switch games but I play every game poorly.
My bankroll management is conservatively, I play $50 nl and 1/2 limit. I've never played higher.

Does anybody know a way out? Is a break the only solution?
Old 04-01-2007, 10:25 AM

Default Re: I need help

seriously play 2-4 nl or something and try to double up. Post your trip report. HAve fun!
Old 04-01-2007, 04:45 PM

I am honestly suffering from the same exact thing. I built 100 into 1100, but lost it all on 2 hands. I then went on to 300 on 8 hands in which I was leading in all of them. I feel defeeated, put out and frustrated.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:24 PM

Def dont go higher when ur dropping money. Keep pushin, if you get too frustrated stop for a day or 2 and watch a movie during your poker time. You can play at your best if ur chill and focused
Old 04-01-2007, 08:13 PM

Give yourself time to rebuild your bankroll.

You didn't turn your $50 in $1500 in one night. Take about 1/3 of the amount of time you needed to reach that - that is the amount of time you can expect to be needing to regain the $400 you are 'behind'.

Also, whenever you start a hand, you don't start with a loss. It is always quitte. Results of former hands don't matter anymore. If anything, you don't have a loss of $400 but you have $1050 profit. Work from there.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:00 PM

If you feel like you're not playing your A game, then take a break. Come back, read some books if you haven't, and commit yourself to it. if you can't to this, quit.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:04 AM

Take a break.

Analyze your pokertracker numbers.

When you come back, drop down a level and pay attention to the basics. Play basic poker and don't try to get tricky. Go out of your way to avoid situations where the decisions are unclear. Make extra sure you're playing hands in position.

One thing I do to break out of a slump is to go into a no call defense. Just don't call unless you're getting clear pot odds to do so. Just raise or fold. It makes decisions easier.

Also at $50NL you can be a small winner just by folding any remotely marginal hand when someone makes a big bet. You're going to be making some bad folds but you'll be avoiding some bad calls and when your confidence it shot to hell your judgement is off on these matters.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:23 AM

dont take more than a couple hour /1day break, drop down in stakes and regain ur confidence and analyze ur game, ur prolly slipping and u need to fix the way u play, when u start playing better than play ur normal game=profit
Old 04-02-2007, 01:46 AM

Just curious how many hands do you have at 50nl?
Old 04-02-2007, 08:21 AM

thx for the answers!

I only played about 2000 hands nl. I just started to play nolimit cash but I've read hoh 1/2 and had some success at tournaments. I lost about the same amount i limit as in nl.
I will probably stick to low limit games for the next few weeks as I can't lose my stack with one stupid move.
If I fall under 1000 I will play chess for a while.