Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2007, 05:17 PM

Default i check top pair on paired flop

10/20 absolute, 6 handed

i raise a10o utg. sb, a 47/13ish, fairly passive player, calls, as does the big blind, who is like 27/10 and tightish (although my notes said he capped k5s).

Flop comes A K K r, and i check behind. sb bets, bb folds, and i call turn and river blanks (both were deuces). Is this okay on occasion, as a WA/WB situation? If I get checkraised by either of these players on the flop, I probably have to call down, although I dont like my hand much. If I get checkraised on the turn by either of these two, I'm not certain but I'd lean toward folding. So maybe my line is okay here, though it seems pretty weak. Maybe I should have raised the turn (or perhaps riv, in case he is bluffing), to extract value from worse aces, and since if 3bet by this player, I can fold.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Re: i check top pair on paired flop

I think this is not a bad play at all. I do it on occasion but pretty much only in this exact situation and against players I dont expect to cr air here or call a flop bet with underpairs but who will usually (one of them) fire a shell on the turn after it checks thru with whatever.

I think a question worth asking is can we do this if the flop isnt rainbow
Old 03-31-2007, 06:14 PM

isnt it bad if we loose this hand to a running flush str or a 2 outer that we should have won the Flop? I first thought its good but the players will become supicous if you check and you will not make more money imho if ahead or is it really just like because you hate calling down a c/r?
Old 03-31-2007, 07:21 PM

cbet everytime, a check looks like a king here. If u get cr u can 3town and go from there. On turn its an easy check or fold to a donk bet
Old 03-31-2007, 07:35 PM

i duno if im gonna be alone on this and I really only like checking behind pretty much exactly here as the pfr. It sucks if we let someone turn a gutter yeah (we do have one of the Ts tho) but if we let someone put money in on the turn with a picked up str or flush draw we make money since the pot will only be laying them less than 3:1 (post rake) and we re in position so their implied odds arent very good.

the reason i like it here is becuz usually vs many calling down from a cr here is not fun but more importantly there is such a small range of worse hands to pay us off (only 2 As) and I could see some idiot betting 55 on the turn AND checking calling the river after we check the flop. This kinda situation where we are checking behind on the flop as the pfr will come up soooooo rarely i dont think it matters much even if it looks like a King or is bad for balance or whatever other argument there is against this play in general.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:50 PM

if you think the fish will bet his 55 on the big streets then do it but he have to be real dumb to do so. Normally i just want to win the Pot right there, if i get c/r on the Flop i call down and if i get called i might check behind on the Turn.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:50 PM

what would u do with an underpair as villain after the flop cks thru? what do u see most villains do with those kind of hands after this action?
Old 03-31-2007, 07:57 PM

mmh depends on the villain, if you cbet every flop even the fish will notice that and theyll become suspicous for sure if you check this but theyll propably will calldown since they want to know what youz checked on the Flop(-:, i dont say checking is horrible and i did it myself at times and if this is the weaknes of the fish that theyll call me down with Q high or a low pp then yes checking is good because still sometimes we loose this to 2 or less outer but we make way more money all the time we win this pot.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i duno if im gonna be alone on this and I really only like checking behind pretty much exactly here as the pfr. It sucks if we let someone turn a gutter yeah (we do have one of the Ts tho) but if we let someone put money in on the turn with a picked up str or flush draw we make money since the pot will only be laying them less than 3:1 (post rake) and we re in position so their implied odds arent very good.

the reason i like it here is becuz usually vs many calling down from a cr here is not fun but more importantly there is such a small range of worse hands to pay us off (only 2 As) and I could see some idiot betting 55 on the turn AND checking calling the river after we check the flop. This kinda situation where we are checking behind on the flop as the pfr will come up soooooo rarely i dont think it matters much even if it looks like a King or is bad for balance or whatever other argument there is against this play in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

good analysis. curious about the rake part. i dont normally take rake into consideration when assessing pot odds post flop. i usually play 5/10 and 10/20. Do most good players take rake into account when making decisions? I assume youre saying that we are getting slightly less from the pot after rake is taken out. Never really thought much about this.