Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2007, 07:49 PM

Default Re: My View of the Poker Player\'s Attitude

[ QUOTE ]
It is a real one man by himself against everyone else that makes it so pure.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you are of the mindset that its you against the world, poker is the nuts.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 03-31-2007, 07:50 PM

Another great post Johnny, enjoyable read but to nit pick, what's a rocket surgeon? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gotta give action to get action.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is by far the dumbest thing that good poker players say.

[/ QUOTE ]

i got invited to the softest home game on the planet bc i was straddling every hand (it was 3way) and generally just playing slightly overagg shorthanded poker.

the game is a goldmine. no pros. no winning players even. the guy who runs it even told me he only invites terrible players (hes terrible too, proly the worst.) he told me he turned away a few ppl whom i know to be terrible, but he felt they were too good.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a nice anecdote, but it does nothing to validate the saying. The saying implies that you must make maniacal and clearly losing plays on a regular basis in order to make the games profitable, which is BS.

[/ QUOTE ]

i gave the illusion of being a huge gambler and now im in the greatest game on the planet. how doest his not embody the saying of "gotta give action to get it?"

taking less than immediate ev can gain you very large +ev situations in the future if done correctly. you cant refute this.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gotta give action to get action.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is by far the dumbest thing that good poker players say.

[/ QUOTE ]

i got invited to the softest home game on the planet bc i was straddling every hand (it was 3way) and generally just playing slightly overagg shorthanded poker.

the game is a goldmine. no pros. no winning players even. the guy who runs it even told me he only invites terrible players (hes terrible too, proly the worst.) he told me he turned away a few ppl whom i know to be terrible, but he felt they were too good.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a nice anecdote, but it does nothing to validate the saying. The saying implies that you must make maniacal and clearly losing plays on a regular basis in order to make the games profitable, which is BS.

[/ QUOTE ]

the saying is more about creating an image then playing bad
Old 03-31-2007, 08:08 PM

Most players who won't ever bet without the "best of it" win small amounts, don't get any action, and die broke.

Where do you fit in, Johnny?

Also, you sure talk about a good number of high-limit games in Lubbock, but my uncles don't remember much action - I guess your games were pretty secretive. What say you about this? I'm sure I can be corrected if there were some games that regularly attracted any players with more than $500 rolls.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2007, 08:26 PM

Johnny, one of the best poker books I ever read was a series of short stories by various authors. I think if you're thinking of doing a book it should be a compilation of short stories ala some of these posts.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lott has not got a lot of smarts.

He wrote....Sounds like Curly was full of BS. Am about ready to confront all this BS about the good old days of the wild wild west in Texas with extreme prejudice.

"Exteme prejudice" is a death threat.

It does not occur to someone of your low IQ that I could care less about you, your ideas, and especially your questions. Should I stop writing my truthful stories here because one person thinks everything is about him???

[/ QUOTE ]

"Extreme prejudice" is not a death threat. "Extreme Prejudice is a military term that means "without mercy". It would have to have the word "terminate" at the beginning of it to come even close to being a death threat. You should know what the term means you are supposedly a college professor. Guess not. Maybe Lott isn't the only one with the low IQ. Before you define a term, maybe you yourself should know the meaning.

Oh by the way, anyone who wants to read the truth about the robbery that Hughes has been writing about with the big diamond ring, you should go to DoyleBrunson.com. Doyle has an interview on there where he tells the real story of what happened during that robbery. Also the robbery happened in Austin, not Corpus Christi like was stated by Hughes. No mention of machine guns either.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:37 PM

Hi Johnny:

I haven't read all your posts, but I too question who you are and how much is true and how much is exxageration. I'm also concerned that you are using our forums more to promote yourself as some sort of poker historian than somneone with real credibility. I'll know more when I read your Johnny Moss story.

In the meantime, and I hope I'm not coming across too strong here, if you have something worthwhile to tell and you know it's accurate, feel free to continue to do so. But it also might be best to tone it down a little, especially since it's difficult to verify what you say and some of your tales do seem to contradict what others who are better known than you have said.

Also, I don't think the poster in question was threatening you. My suspicion is that he has the same mis-givings that I have and perhaps over reacted.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 04-01-2007, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But it also might be best to tone it down a little, especially since it's difficult to verify what you say and some of your tales do seem to contradict what others who are better known than you have said.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sincerely hope your statement doesnt cause him to stop posting here.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:05 AM

Hi pair:

I hope he continues to post as well. But I would feel better if what Johhny says is as accurate as possible.

Best wishes,
Mason