Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Re: What are you working on MMB?

Cool, as someone that has developed a lot of dating/social networking sites in the past and runs a few now I honestly think your best off picking a very niche group of people and then using targeted cpa(and selling targeted CPM) would make you a lot more money. I've had sites with >100K pageviews a day doing <$40 a day on average with adsense. :| Placement was good but people were pretty much adsense blind.

plentyoffish is definitely a lucky break story. The only reason I knew about it was because they have these tv ads in Toronto that were like "Are you on plenty of fish? Because if you're not your boyfriend is" and my girlfriend hated them lol. Then of course Marcus became a dating world celeb lol.

Anyhow definitely work a niche, and try to get ads on sites targeting your niche. Good luck and let me know how it goes [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And hey, worst comes to worst if your website doesn't pan out to can sell your software to all the people trying to start dating sites for $200 a pop and turn a profit that way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You want to buy shares of my company too sniper?

EDIT: Issuing 1 million shares for 1 cent each starting monday. Cheap discount for 2+2 users. PM me for details.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tien, my sense is that an investment in you could be worthwhile...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's Canadian real estate if I remember correctly, which means when Canada finally caves in and becomes part of America like we know they want to, the real estate prices will skyrocket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bastard Americanos!!
Old 03-31-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just about all I do now is buy minority shares of small businesses. I help people get start-up capital by buying a portion of the business. Right now I'm working on three deals. One is with a guy that wants to buy or open a salon and day spa. One is with a guy that wants to buy a bakery. The third is a trailer park.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you find investments like this?
Old 03-31-2007, 06:04 PM

This is my very first project for the sake of trying to make money: a search-engine/portal sort of page. Driving traffic with different sources. Made a blog for the website that talks about different "hot searches" and ping it with Pingomatic. There's Adsense stuff and affiliate offers on the pages, but I've tried to keep it fairly clean. I started about a week ago, and encourage users to set it as their homepage by representing it as "the simple adware-free home page" or something like that.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is my very first project for the sake of trying to make money: a search-engine/portal sort of page. Driving traffic with different sources. Made a blog for the website that talks about different "hot searches" and ping it with Pingomatic. There's Adsense stuff and affiliate offers on the pages, but I've tried to keep it fairly clean. I started about a week ago, and encourage users to set it as their homepage by representing it as "the simple adware-free home page" or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would people use your search page as a home page, rather than something like google? What's your value added?
Old 03-31-2007, 08:18 PM

selling canadian VPNs, building and selling turn-keys, selling a business my partner and I ran for like 4 years selling domain names, building some content based adsense sites
Old 03-31-2007, 08:47 PM

Starting up my own managed services (IT) company. I'll be offering backup, data recovery, fixed asset tracking, remote updates and user administration for Windows desktops and servers. Target will be small businesses (under 50 machines).
Old 03-31-2007, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cool, as someone that has developed a lot of dating/social networking sites in the past and runs a few now I honestly think your best off picking a very niche group of people and then using targeted cpa(and selling targeted CPM) would make you a lot more money. I've had sites with >100K pageviews a day doing <$40 a day on average with adsense. :| Placement was good but people were pretty much adsense blind.

plentyoffish is definitely a lucky break story. The only reason I knew about it was because they have these tv ads in Toronto that were like "Are you on plenty of fish? Because if you're not your boyfriend is" and my girlfriend hated them lol. Then of course Marcus became a dating world celeb lol.

Anyhow definitely work a niche, and try to get ads on sites targeting your niche. Good luck and let me know how it goes [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And hey, worst comes to worst if your website doesn't pan out to can sell your software to all the people trying to start dating sites for $200 a pop and turn a profit that way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, can I hit you up on IM or Yahoo Messenger sometime and pick your brain a little. This is my first project like this so I could realy use the help. I am confident on being able to build the site, but promotions and running afterwords scare me.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would people use your search page as a home page, rather than something like google? What's your value added?

[/ QUOTE ]

Visitors will usually come to the site directly to one of the niche-based sections, which provides RSS feeds with news related to that niche and other niche-related stuff. One of the ideas I'm trying to implement is to give them news and "hot deals" (read affiliate offers) related to that niche so that they'll enjoy that page as their homepage. These aren't really niches per se, but more like semi-broad categories, like movies, home electronics/computers, news/weather, and of course the one for free stuff/get paid for ______ programs.

My format for the site isn't anything special, and to be honest it has a lot of room for improvement, but so far it seems to be sticking decently well. I first started promoting it Tuesday, and right now it's Saturday night around 11:30 eastern time, and I've got 300 uniques today. I haven't used any Digg sites, spam, or paid advertising, so I don't think that's too bad for my first try :/

Sorry if some of my English is broken, I'm a bit tired. If I come across as either a [censored] or smartass, feel free to bitch at me when I can see straight [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2007, 03:41 PM

I'm currently working for a company that has a startup website designed to aid in the promotion and distribution of unsigned music artists. Members can join our site for $1/month and will be able to download music from all the artists on our site. They can also purchase cds of those artists through our site. 50% of all membership fees gets split up amongst the artists while 33% goes to charity. So far we have 5 artists (mostly college circuit artists) and the soundtrack to a musical onboard. We are currently working on targeting some of the bigger unsigned artists from around the country. Its a pretty nice idea with awesome growth potential, but obviously could easily flame out and fail too.