Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2007, 09:27 AM

Default Re: L@TB, Deep. I\'ve read too many poker books.

[ QUOTE ]
I actually liked my risk/reward ratio as, to my way of thinking at the time (good or bad), he's 6.5:1 against having flopped a set on me, and unless he has a set he can't call, therefore 4 out of 5 times (straight/top two or something) I scoop ~4k in the middle...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very bad logic. It isn't even factoring his action on the flop, which greatly weighs his range towards the stronger hands he may hold.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:00 AM

dsxfb;lkbcn98i-0k6t34u]j0gs-i-ir t=\rw\\94t
Old 03-31-2007, 12:00 PM

So if he can only call with a set or top two, why do you play AA like this?
Old 03-31-2007, 01:38 PM

Kirk,
I think most of the hands he raises and folds to a shove you're beating.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dsxfb;lkbcn98i-0k6t34u]j0gs-i-ir t=\rw\\94t

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 03-31-2007, 04:48 PM

Here's my read on the situation:

You've been running bad recently like you've mentioned. Having to fold QQ pre-flop to a massive shove by Mo just recently. There were other little details earlier that shot your image.

Why did you choose to make a move against one of the 3 best players at the table out of position with 89o of all hands? One of the worst case scenarios is a QJT flop.

You had a crappy image with crappy cards and crappy position and therefore made a crappy pre-flop re-raise against a really good opponent who is smart and capable of mixing it up. Is this really the spot you want to play 7k+ deep?

That said, you should have folded on the flop to his raise. There's no use compounding one mistake with another. Given your loose and losing image (and therefore an image of one who is trying to make back his money), I doubt he's folding AA or even KK to the 3-bet shove.

That second run J was really, really sick.

Garland
Old 03-31-2007, 05:37 PM

Why does he agree to run it twice? Or is it just local practice to agree? Also do you agree to run it twice before or after you have seen each others hand?
Old 03-31-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the worst case scenarios is a QJT flop

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 03-31-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the worst case scenarios is a QJT flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

?
Old 03-31-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's my read on the situation:

You've been running bad recently like you've mentioned. Having to fold QQ pre-flop to a massive shove by Mo just recently. There were other little details earlier that shot your image.

Why did you choose to make a move against one of the 3 best players at the table out of position with 89o of all hands? One of the worst case scenarios is a QJT flop.

You had a crappy image with crappy cards and crappy position and therefore made a crappy pre-flop re-raise against a really good opponent who is smart and capable of mixing it up. Is this really the spot you want to play 7k+ deep?

That said, you should have folded on the flop to his raise. There's no use compounding one mistake with another. Given your loose and losing image (and therefore an image of one who is trying to make back his money), I doubt he's folding AA or even KK to the 3-bet shove.

That second run J was really, really sick.

Garland

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're just a huge nit, looking for every excuse you can to fold a hand that isn't the nuts. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Take that fwiw, but from what I've seen of you on LATB you play an incredibly weak tight game, which of course works because it's live poker where the average player has an IQ in single digits, but I just think you're leaving a lot of money on the table playing so tight to be honest. Good players just won't pay you off, which bodes ok if you're going to start running some big bluffs, but I haven't seen that out of you either, so I'm going to say that you don't bluff often enough too.

Kirk's cards are almost irrelevant preflop, as long as he has a reasonable hand (aka connected in some sort of way). Ari plays fairly laggy preflop for a live full ring game, and he makes a standard button raise which he would do with almost anything remotely decent to punish the limpers and play his position. Now the vast majority of his raising range is folding to a 3 bet. I'd say he's calling with 99+, AK, and occasionally some kind of speculative hand, but rarely. So we pretty much instaprofit by 3 betting here preflop, although I would have 3 bet a little smaller to like $350, but that's just me. Perhaps $500 is more correct at full ring with these deep stacks, though. My point is that Kirk is simply playing the situation, taking advantage of the fact that Ari has a huge range preflop and is folding all but his strongest hands. Even against Ari's TT, he is going to win the hand on many occasions when there is an overcard or two on the flop, or when gets lucky and flops big. There is a ton of merit to Kirk's preflop play, look beyond his hole cards and expand your thinking.

Also, I don't think he is raising this flop much with any one pair hands this deep, his range is heavily weighted towards 2 pair + / air, IMO.