Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2007, 07:54 AM

Default Re: WTO Report inside

[ QUOTE ]
I found no reference to "STATE LOTTOS" other than a bet does include purchasing a chance at "a lottery"; doesn't seem like a "carveout" since bets can be covered.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my post see under definitions see (E)(iv)(II); it looks like that is where it gives State Lottos the green light (and also if the state wanted to start it's own online poker).
Old 03-31-2007, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If Antigua went the copywrite route, or any other form of retaliation, would they be safe from the US turning off monetary aide, low interest loans, etc?

If the US can simply turn off the spigots I doubt Antigua will get too fiesty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would rather be afraid that USA would find "weapons of mass destruction" and "terrorist activities" in Antigua and send in the fleet.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:35 AM

Jay Cohen,

As the OP on this thread and a poster with much stake and knowledge in this area, I'd be very interested in your take on options that Antigua is or would consider given the favorable ruling.

What do you see as possibilities? Is/will it be a Phyric victory with no teeth, or will it lead to change? How will change happen if the U.S. chooses to ignore or continue to litigate it? Are copyright sanctions off the table? Will it take other countries joining the effort/litigation to make the U.S. react substantively?

BTW, thank you for your commitment to the online game and player.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would rather be afraid that USA would find "weapons of mass destruction" and "terrorist activities" in Antigua and send in the fleet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This current administration and the religious Republican justice department considers playing a $5 sit and go a terrorist activity.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:43 PM

I just read an article about this in the European Wall Street Journal. It seemed very positive for online gaming and for Antigua.

Very exciting news.

'Restrictions to gambling sites based overseases deemed illegal'

'The US acknowledged Friday that the latest decision was a setback'
Old 03-31-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I found no reference to "STATE LOTTOS" other than a bet does include purchasing a chance at "a lottery"; doesn't seem like a "carveout" since bets can be covered.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my post see under definitions see (E)(iv)(II); it looks like that is where it gives State Lottos the green light (and also if the state wanted to start it's own online poker).

[/ QUOTE ]

This... "is exempt from State gaming or bucket shop laws under section 12(e) of the Commodity Exchange Act or section 28(a) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934"... refers to stock and commodity trading.

It is worth noting, that UIGEA didn't change the legality of anything... it merely put forth enforcement mechanisms for previous law. So, if you want to find what is or isn't IN, you need to look at the other laws.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:35 PM

It occurs to me that this is where the problem is:

It's perfectly legal for them to operate with U.S. customers. It's illegal however for anyone to transfer money to them.

Might as well make it illegal to operate, but it's not the same thing.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2007, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
while it's great that Antigua won...what kind of trade sanctions can they realistically impose on the US that will have any meaningful affect on the US that would force them to come into compliance?

The only thing that could possibly happen would be if the UK or someone brought a similar case on behalf of PartyPoker or something....otherwise I'm not sure anything really happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

The EU including the UK have registered a material interest in the case and provided evidence during it. My understanding is that this means that they do not need another case to apply sanctions they can under this case.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, Sniper, I don't remember it. I've been following the threads on Antigua regularly, but this may have slipped by me.

Do you remember what their rationale was for ruling it out? I don't know why they would take ANYTHING off the table given the importance of the industry to their economy and their lack of any other significant economic clout.

[/ QUOTE ]

Antigua were (and are) sticking to the moral high ground. What they want(ed) was for the US to comply so threats on copyright would probably be considered a bit "strong". Now this judgement is in and the process moves further to the end (another year or so) the case for sounding tougher increases. In a years time Antigua can take a line of "we never wanted this but now the US has reached the end of the line what else can we do?" and still keep the moral high ground.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:21 AM

US Loses WTO Ruling