Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2007, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Jordan was overrated?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
assani is one of the very best posters in this forum. lay off.

[/ QUOTE ]

um... yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with that.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT.
Also I can't believe that people voted no for the second question, I'm pretty sure that is categorically wrong.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I do think there's a ridiculous bias to try to make the players of the present/recent eras to be better than the players of bygone eras. When people try to compare Wilt's numbers to MJ's numbers, it's all "those numbers were all inflated and meaningless, they wouldn't do anything today", but then when you're comparing say Ruth to Bonds, a lot of people just ignore how ridiculously difficult is was to hit home runs in the dead-ball era and say Bonds must be better than Ruth.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very wrong.

Anyone arguing Bonds > Ruth would never point to home runs to help their argument.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Also, I do think there's a ridiculous bias to try to make the players of the present/recent eras to be better than the players of bygone eras. When people try to compare Wilt's numbers to MJ's numbers, it's all "those numbers were all inflated and meaningless, they wouldn't do anything today", but then when you're comparing say Ruth to Bonds, a lot of people just ignore how ridiculously difficult is was to hit home runs in the dead-ball era and say Bonds must be better than Ruth.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very wrong.

Anyone arguing Bonds > Ruth would never point to home runs to help their argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. The same argument for Jordan is the same argument for Bonds. Players are better now and Bonds faces better competition.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. The same argument for Jordan is the same argument for Bonds. Players are better now and Bonds faces better competition.

[/ QUOTE ]
Jack,
I agree with you but IMO that's a really bad way to rank players. Than you'd end up with stuff like TJ Ford>>>> Bob cousy.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:55 AM

Eagles,

Well, it's obviously not the sole judgment of ranking players.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:33 AM

From a pure skill standpoint, I think MJ and Kobe are pretty close. IMO, what set MJ apart from everybody else was his will to win. This is a guy who wouldn't talk to his son for 2 days after he got beat in a game of HORSE (so says ESPN Classic). I mean, you've got a guy that was as skilled as anybody ever, with that kind of cut throat mentality. That's pretty tough to beat.

And defensively, Jordan was better than Kobe, or just about anybody else for just that reason, because he wanted it more. Just about anybody who has played will tell you that defense is mostly desire. This is where Jordan kills Kobe, IMO.

But more to the point, I would say that Jordan is over-rated in the sense that he can never be touched. He was great (Good god he was great) but to say that nobody today can compare to him? I think that's a little bit of an overstatement.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:07 AM

you guys really dont like asanni?

are you just bitter because you dont understand onslaughts cuz i dont understand em either but i still like him.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you guys really dont like asanni?

are you just bitter because you dont understand onslaughts cuz i dont understand em either but i still like him.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, we don't like him because he makes absolutely absurd statements at will, bumps YEAR OLD THREADS without knowing it, and then refuses to back up any of his ridiculous stances with money.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and then refuses to back up any of his ridiculous stances with money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen Assani make several bets on this forum, one of which was with me.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and then refuses to back up any of his ridiculous stances with money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen Assani make several bets on this forum, one of which was with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only assume that he lost. Did he pay?