Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2007, 03:17 AM

Default If you are kind enough, can you help develop a plan for the beginner?

Hello everybody.It is nice to be in a forum with intelligent people and I like the fact that a lot of you devote time to help newbies like me get into the right track.So,I take the courage to ask for advice on a matter that concerns many people here as I have read quite a few posts with general guidelines.To be specific what is needed is a plan which includes the activities on which time should be spent,shows which activities are more important than others and how to set priorities,gives options on different strategies to achieve a goal,etc.,you get the point.

Position today:

Full ring limit micro stakes player mainly 0,25-0,50,and only when I find very good tables 0,5-1 and 1-2.
Pacific Poker site non-US players.
Have played a few thousand hands(I know this is nothing).
A little 2-tabling or 3-tabling,just to experiment.
Have studied "theory of poker","supersystem","small stakes holdem","holdem poker for advanced players" and review them from time to time.
Have also read lee jones winning low limit holdem.This was the first book I read on low limit and even though I was winning some time last year following its advice,I am under the impression that I was becoming weak tight and playing the fit-or-fold game so I don't review it since I read the other books.
Started using Pokertracker
Results on 880 hands in Pokertracker just for illustration purposes:VPIP 17,61%,preflop raise 7,61%,total AF 1,38 including preflop,went to SD 46,53%,won at SD 51,06%,won WSF 32,18%,amount won 58,68$,BB/100 7,06.
Member of 2+2 forums,read posts in microstakes session and other sessions on theory,poker sites,rakeback,software.
Play on laptop Acer travelmate 2482wxmi mobile celeron 1,73GHz,512mb ram,60gb hdd,14,1 wxga tft lcd max resolution 1280x800.
Can afford to lose 3000$.Let's say this is the bankroll.

First income goal: Win 1000$/month
Deadline: 6 months

Is this goal reachable,is it too high or too low?
What would you do to achieve this goal?How would you do it?List all the things that come to mind.Brainstorm now,evaluate later.
Which are the most important things to do?
What percentage of the total time should each activity take?
Has any of you achieved this goal?What made you successful?
Are there different roads to get to the goal?Which is the best?
What one thing would you do immediately to bring you closer to the goal?
Maybe this is sounding a little like one of those self-development gurus out there,well if it works elsewhere,it can work for poker too.

This was a long post,if I didn't mention some important info ,just ask or fill in the blanks by yourselves.
Thanks for listening,looking forward to your answers.Feel free to move the post into the directions you think better.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:36 AM

Default Re: If you are kind enough, can you help develop a plan for the beginn

Setting an income goal, especially for a beginning player, is usually a bad idea. A better idea would be to set a goal on the number of hands you play and how much studying you do. If you set and achieve both of these goals, you'll find your long-term winrate improve naturally.

The reason why setting an oncome goal is a bad idea is poker is a very high-variance endevor. This is especially true the fewer hands you play, and from the looks of things you're looking to play a few thousand hands, perhaps 20k.

Figure out what your bankroll is going to be during your newbie stages. Pick an appropriate game & level for that bankroll. Come up with some goals as far as how many hands and how much studying you're going to do in 6 months. Then do it. If you are net positive after the 6 months, buy yourself something nice. If not, that't the cost of learning poker. But you still achieved your goals.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:01 AM

Default Re: If you are kind enough, can you help develop a plan for the beginner?

First income goal: Win 1000$/month

[/ QUOTE ]

This is your first real mistake. Don't be so results oriented because the Poker Gods are fickle, and they have a perverse sense of humor.

New Goal - Play each hand well.

And a lot of the time playing well means folding.

You've got Small Stakes Hold'em. That's great. Two more important books are Weighing the Odds and Hold'em on the Come (although really only the first HALF of Hold'em on the Come is good, but it's REALLY good). If you're in the States then they should be available in any of the megabookstores.

Just limit yourself to those three books. Read and re-read them over and over. Say, an hour at a time, 3-4 times a week.

Also, read the limit forums. Read the stickies, read the threads, grunch a bunch (what "grunch" means is in the stickies). Devote a half hour a day to reading and grunching.

And then just play. 2-4 hour sessions, 3-4 times a week. I wouldn't worry about multi-tabling too much. Just pick a limit where you're comfortable and play several thousand hands until you can prove to yourself (via the objective measure of your PT Stats) that you're a consistant winner. This usually takes 10 thousand hands or more.

Don't just be a click-bot - Really think about what you're doing.

Before the flop, ask yourself:

Does this holding have a pre-flop equity advantage?
Does this holding have a post flop informational advantage?
Based on my position, can I cold call a raise with this hand?

After the flop, ask yourself:

Do I have a made hand? Is my made hand likely best right now?
Do I need to raise to protect my made hand?
Do I have a draw? If I make my draw will I win? Is it likely I can make my draw and still lose?
Do I have correct pot odds to call with my draw?
Do I have sufficient pot equity to raise with my draw?

Run through the script in your mind, both before the flop and on every street after the flop. It will quickly become second nature.

The more you read and play and grunch, the more you'll see the same kinds of situations over and over. And the better you'll become at evaluating and playing in those situations.

But in every situation, strive to play well. You can play well and still lose a particular hand. These things happen. You still strive to play well.

Play well, and the money just comes...