Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 01:52 PM

Default SB preflop question

How do you play SB preflop with two players already in the pot?

Letīs say that a decent TAG raises from CO and a bad player coldcalls behind. What hands are you 3-betting? Calling?

What if the TAG raises UTG instead?

This situation has come up quite alot last sessions and I`m not really sure how to play some hands. What are you considering when you make your decision?
Old 03-30-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Re: SB preflop question

I think I'm cold-calling almost zero hands in that situation. In fact I am cold-calling almost zero hands in any situation at 6-max. Exeptions would be UTG raise and 2+ callers and I'm on the button or BB. Then I'm maybe calling with pairs like 66, or medium suited connectors like JTs.

3-jacking AJ+, 88+
Old 03-30-2007, 07:16 PM

I know this message board likes to raise or fold, but you'll see me sometimes press that third button and cold call or overcall. I think the raise/fold rule is usually correct, nearly always, but sometimes I just call.

The types of things that should go into your decision are your opponents post flop tendencies, what hand range you put the CO and Button on, your image and how your 3-bet or cold call will be interpreted, who's sitting in the BB, and how the two cards you're holding play post flop out of position against 3 opponents, and how they play against 4 opponents. It's a fairly involved decision process, so it may be better to just stick with the raise/fold rule until you feel you can recognize the right times to cold call.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:34 PM

With a raise and a call in front, and reasonably passive BB, cold calling small PP and SC from the SB can't be a huge mistake in itself, assuming you don't take spewy lines with them postflop, multiway, oop.

The problem is, it's really easy to take a bad line in this spot, which is a big reason most simply fold here - and I think the PP are far easier to play in this spot than the connectors.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:32 AM

i 3bet AQ+ TT+ and i coldcall AJ KQ any pps below TT if i think i can play them for setvalue and if you select tables right you should could play them for setvalue in this spot.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:56 AM

3-bet
A9s, AJo, 88, KQs, KQo.

Call
A7s-A9s, 22-88, KJs, QTs, JTs, T9s, 98s, 87s.

The exact calling range depends on the blind structure and the range is prolly too loose. Dunno, folding sucks!