Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 03:34 AM

Default Re: The Golf thread

i just got back from hawaii, the golf there is phenomenal...

played mauna kea, a gorgeous robert trent jones track, also the experience at koele (norman design) and the challenge at manele (nicklaus)...it definitely got the itch started for golf season. i use to be a 1 handicap, am a 4-5 now, would like to get back down to shooting mid 70s consistently...its really my iron play that has let me down
Old 03-30-2007, 10:56 AM

I'm trying to get into golf this year and have pretty limited experience playing the game. That being said, I have no idea how to pick which clubs I should get my first time around. I'm thinking they won't make a huge difference (at least to me) at first, but I don't want to buy some clubs I will need to replace after a year. I also don't want to waste money on super good clubs if I really wont be getting much out of them. Sooooo.....

Can somebody recommend some clubs for a beginner? Or throw a good link that will tell a beginner what to look for when buying his first set of clubs?

Thanks,
mike
Old 03-30-2007, 12:07 PM

Just got fitted for clubs, and am going with the Ping i5s, with a 19 degree hybrid. The hybrid is amazing; played a round with a demo, and it blew my mind. I'm currently playing with a 975, mostly because I hit it really well (for me) and haven't demoed a driver that I hit better.

Going to the Masters practice round on Monday. Pretty excited about that.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:05 PM

If you are in the market for a putter, you really should check out these beauties from Louisville Golf:
http://www.louisvillegolf.com/index.php/cPath/3_16
Not only are they beautiful, they're also very easy to swing true. Before I got one, I had zero chance of making a 12-15 foot putt, and lately I've been making a couple per round.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any advice about how to get back to playing often after not playing more than 5-6 times in two years. I'm a sophmore in college and haven't played hardly at all since high school (I played 4 years of Varsity in high school and some reasonably competitive junior golf when I was younger). The main problem is that the few times I have played I haven't been satified (shooting high 80s). I think this is mainly because I am highly competetive and have played all those rounds with my dad (and some also with my grandpa and uncle where we gamble on the course) and haven't faired so well comparably with how I was doing in my high school days (I was decent, but nothing special). Is there a good way to get back into the swing of things or is it just basically a go to the range and iron out my swing for a few weeks type situation? I'm just tired of leaving the course pissed and not wanting to go back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Life gets in the way if you don't have a golf scholarship doesn't it? I was in your shoes, this makes me feel old, about 20 years ago. I still have not figured it out, and after 10-15 years of very little play I still don't get to play as much as I would like. In some ways I don't enjoy the game as much because I can't do some of the things I could before, and like you I was nothing special then. Even less special now. However, your enjoyment of the game really does not have to depend on score or gambling results, depending on how you look at it. One problem is the American golf attitude and tradition, where scoring is very important. Matches for small stakes against relatives should be very fun, not drudgery because of score or result. Scoring wise try to keep up with your short game. I didn't. Simplify other parts of your game. And you might get something out of reading about golf history and course design. Also read some Bernard Darwin if you are so inclined. This will start getting you to look at aspects of the sport that add to your experience regardless of your score on a particular day. Sounds odd, but it can actually help.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:13 PM

can anyone 2nd Limons reco of the doublewall driver? this is a gift for a friend.

also, could anyone else recommend a driver that's a bit less expensive - say $200? or 1 more expensive..say $350-$400?

or anything else?
Old 03-30-2007, 05:19 PM

Not to derail the thread, but I think it would be cool if people talked about exceptional courses they have played and what their experience was.

I don't have time now, but I have played Augusta, Cypress, Pine Valley and a number of other top courses. If there is interest I will share.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:36 PM

I see there has been some Bandon discussion. Personally I thought Pacific Dunes was much better. I love that there are no carts on either course.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:07 PM

If you like golf and you like reading then "The Green" by Troon McAllister is a must read. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Troon-Mcalli...5746&sr=8-1
Old 03-31-2007, 02:14 AM

River,

Currently this thread is a catch all for golf. Everyone feel free to post about exceptional courses. I personally haven't played any.