Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Funny hand that perfectly depicts blatant FTOP mistakes...

[ QUOTE ]
i'm amused that we have "the new crop of recruits" in here now posting lame hands that play themselves (at least to people like most of the veterans). Many of them will puss out and disappear. Others will stick around and become better players. Many of these people's posts cause pain when first viewed. Eventually these people learn how to play and they don't post stupid "plays itself" hands. Still. Wow. Weak weak weak tight tight tight, today.

[/ QUOTE ]

personally, I think the rudeness to new posters is excreble behaviour.

there are loads of excuses, i'm sure. They all sound like 'my dog ate my maturity' to me.

Of course this means I must therefore be a wuss or some suitable variation on that theme.

i know i'm not changing any of the old guards' minds (in fact, i'm fairly well expecting something suitably sarcastic in response), but maybe some of my 'generation' might be convinced that insulting the n00bs is good practice.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:56 AM

Dude, it's the corprate culture of the forum. Besides, how can you be outraged at someone correcting a newb while saying it's alright for a team of players to be in a hand together. In Sascatoon they'd jab your left nut with a BBQ fork for that.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, it's the corprate culture of the forum. Besides, how can you be outraged at someone correcting a newb while saying it's alright for a team of players to be in a hand together. In Sascatoon they'd jab your left nut with a BBQ fork for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

holy red herring/ad hominem argumentation batman!

it's self evident that being rude to n00bs is poor behaviour. You can try to suggest that my character is flawed all you like. It won't change this.

that's cool, instead of being a wuss, i'm ethically dodgy so you don't have to listen to what I'm saying. not particularly logical, but hey ho.

for the record, i never advocated having 2 players 'share' a hand. and as freteloo points out, a sweat isn't at all like 'teaming up' for a hand. even if you discuss during the hand, it's not as if you have time to brainstorm every action. in any event i didn't say you SHOULD sweat in this manner.
In fact, i pointed out repeatedly that a more ethically viable option is to discuss the hand AFTER the fact.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:44 AM

You made a moral judgement and I pointed out it's a pot/kettle situation. Despite being about to roll to the bench, my time is not free. Neither is anyone else's time on this board. So when someone appears to be wasting my time I could spend 20 minutes asking them how they are doing, making them a cup of tea and those sandwitches without crust and rubbing their shoulders while I explain to them that perhaps no one cares what to do in a hand that happens 1 time every 1000 hands or so and they should instead worry about other parts of their game, but about the 10th time you do that you start to feel dirty so instead it's easier to let them know they have broken one of the written or unwritten rules of the forum quickly and perhaps a little hotly. Some people are going to take such a correction personally and feel bad and leave. Sorry, getting poker knowledge isn't a right. Some people are going to try and figure out what they did wrong and learn from it, hurray! In the end, if you come into a new place and refuse to follow the rules of the place you are generally going to be get friction. This place doesn't sufffer fools gladly, if you want real examples of harshing on newbs search some of Boz's and Miles' old posts, there hasn't been anything really bad for a while. TANSTAAFL.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:02 AM

kerowo, please use paragraphs [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

oh and noobs need to take criticism constructively. sometimes it is overboard. There is a fuzzy line. I prefer berations to be at least somewhat constructive...boz is a champ because he can deliver the beration and yet still give advice. miles ergo (most of the time) he will still lose to my team in hula though. str8fish and Ko...Im gunning for you. go go go
Old 03-30-2007, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
damn... deucescracked sent off an e-mail to me... they realize that there's such things as paragraphs?! Anyone else get that e-mail?

[/ QUOTE ]

Got it last nite. Started to read it, then gave up.

-J
Old 03-30-2007, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
damn... deucescracked sent off an e-mail to me... they realize that there's such things as paragraphs?! Anyone else get that e-mail?

[/ QUOTE ]

Got it last nite. Started to read it, then gave up.

-J

[/ QUOTE ]

I made it through it.. it's basically 'we have videos on our site, and give neat stuff if you use our rakeback'.

Paragraphs would have been nice tho...

Aussie.. lol...

shadow... your experience re: stadium reminded me of an early experience of mine where I was sitting in a apartment complex hot-tub, and I leaned back and could hear my friend's voice like it was coming through a stadium loudspeaker... I felt like I was sitting on the top row of a stadium and everything was echo.. echo... echo....

These days it doesn't do much for me at all except make my brain single-threaded and makes it hard for me to follow everything that's going on. I find I'm much funnier (at least to myself) unstoned than stoned. And it makes beer taste funny. I much prefer drunk.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you want real examples of harshing on newbs search some of Boz's and Miles' old posts, there hasn't been anything really bad for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

werd, and those guys are just the remaining from the "old days".

you gotta have thick skin if you want to post on these boards. if you can't handle a little ribbing with your free advice, move to another forum, or just go play and learn the game on your own. come on.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:12 AM

yeah, i think your reaction is entirely understandable kerowo.

and if i'm honest, I have to say that I'm sure it would annoy me saying the same line 10x. I used to get really frustrated when i'd grade students' essays and find myself writing the same thing over and over again. I can see where you're coming from.

you're right. you aren't being paid, nor is poker advice a right.

it just seems a bit dr cox (you'll have to excuse me. I view EVERYTHING in terms of scrubs analogies) to commingle sarcasm and personal abuse with constructive critcism. as oz said. there's a line that gets crossed.

and literally everything miles or boz has said to me has been spot on. i've gotten a wee bit of tough love from them, but it sounds like i've never witnessed even a fraction of their potential ire.

and to be fair, the tough love approach helps alot of people. learning styles and all that.

and i'm all for giving both barrels to noobs who get stroppy. heheh, not at all unlike myself :P
or if they don't read the FAQ.

but it's not their fault if they don't know the unwritten rules or are just bad players. we were all there once, some of us (like me) are still there. punishing them for ignorance, innocence, or naivety (take your pick) seems a bit undue.

and surely the least time consuming thing to write is nothing. if someone have a bit of time, then a polite or terse reply probably takes about the same amount of time as a rude reply. i'm not saying we should be cuddly, just polite.

I do definitely take your points. Oz's as well.

It's the crossing of that 'fuzzy line' which I think is crap. We all know it's there and we all know it's not a nice thing to do if we cross it, so why do we?
Old 03-30-2007, 10:19 AM

let it also be said that if u think the microlimit forum is harsh then dont ever dare to visit teh NL forums. they will skin noobs alive. seriously.
Closed Thread