Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 08:36 PM

Default follow through with bluff on river?

First or second orbit and I haven't played with villain before...

FullTiltPoker Game #2090705921: Table Cathedral Rock - $1/$2 - No Limit Hold'em - 20:52:11 ET - 2007/03/28
Seat 1: BB ($193)
Seat 2: UTG ($200), is sitting out
Seat 3: UTG+1 ($200), is sitting out
Seat 4: UTG+2 ($218.50)
Seat 5: MP ($155)
Seat 6: MP+1 ($253.20), is sitting out
Seat 7: CU ($163)
Seat 8: Button ($285.10)
Seat 9: Hero ($174.05)

Hero posts the small blind of $1
BB posts the big blind of $2
The button is in seat #8

*** PRE FLOP ***
Dealt to Hero 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG+2 folds, MP calls $2, CU folds, Button calls $2, Hero calls $1, ABory checks
Pot: $8

*** FLOP *** T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero checks, BB checks, MP checks, Button bets $2, Hero calls $2, BB folds, MP calls $2
Pot: $14
<font color="blue">I decide to call here and see what opportunities the turn brings.</font>

*** TURN *** T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="blue">I think the 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is a good scare card here. I decide to Check Raise if the button puts in another donk bet</font>
Hero checks, MP checks, Button bets $2, <font color="blue">Well, he donk bet again. I put in a check raise. (yes I'm ignoring the other caller...) </font> Hero raises to $10,
MP folds, Button calls $8
Pot: $34

*** RIVER *** T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="blue">Ace may be a good scare card here too. If villain called my CR with a King and medium kicker he'll have a tough time calling here. Bet? If so, how much?</font>

Hero ?
Old 03-29-2007, 10:14 PM

Default Re: follow through with bluff on river?

[ QUOTE ]
If villain called my CR with a King and medium kicker he'll have a tough time calling here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too late to edit but I meant to say T and medium kicker.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:24 PM

hard to give advice on this, its hard to read, and bluffing is art.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:57 PM

bluffing unknowns on dry flops in limped pots is not even in my playbook, and im as spewy as it gets i think.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bluffing unknowns on dry flops in limped pots is not even in my playbook, and im as spewy as it gets i think.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1
Old 03-30-2007, 12:09 AM

I don't like anything about this hand because the bluff really isn't well planned.

First, it is an unraised pot and villain might easily have a set that turned a full house, or X4, or whatever.

Second, you are first to act with four outs on the flop, and those outs aren't to the nuts once the board pairs.

Third, you keep finding "scare" cards that are less scary when you don't know what villain might have since the pot was unraised and he could be playing ATC on the button. All you know is that he likes his hand enough to bet/call the turn.

Finally, you can't win unless you bet. You won't get called with a $30 bet by Tx, if villain came this far with Tx. So, given that you dug a hole for yourself with the c/r on the turn, I think you should bet $30 on the river and hope he folds.

I would not try this line in an unraised pot in the future.

If anything, stab at the flop once and give up if you miss the turn. At least that way you have first shot at a small pot, and if you get super luck and improve on the turn, you will have a big pot to bet into with the straight.

I really think the c/r line you took on the turn was unnecessarily fancy.