Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 11:08 PM

Default NL10 - AK Hits Flop, Calls Down

Villian is 37/3/1.8 over 68 hands. He's not quite ready for the WPT. The turn is potentially scary, considering Villian's range. I go for a little pot control on the turn, and then he leads the river big. A lot of hands are beating me, except weaker Aces and QT. Thoughts?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($8.05)
SB ($4.35)
BB ($22.55)
UTG ($14.80)
MP ($5.90)
Hero ($10.30)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.4</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $0.30.

Flop: ($0.85) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.85</font>, BB calls $0.85.

Turn: ($2.55) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2.

River: ($6.55) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7.05</font>, BB calls $1.05.

Final Pot: $20.65
Old 03-29-2007, 11:51 PM

Default Re: NL10 - AK Hits Flop, Calls Down

Your two best customers w/ AK are AQ and AJ, they are both apying you at the flop, but when the Q comes AQ has just moved ahead of you, so has JQ too. Villains with these stats aint raising with less than 2 pairs. So I think that turn+river play are spew. Fold to his turn bet.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:06 AM

Pre Flop is good.
The flop is good.
On the turn I need more information than you have given me on the opponent. They've been calling you down, why are they suddenly waking up when a queen hits? Do they have AQ, QT, T8? Have you seen this opponent slow play big hands till the turn? If so they may have a set.
I know for sure I don't like the call on the turn. You really need to take some time here and analyze the situation and what you know about your opponent. Do they slow play monsters on the flop and come out betting the turn frequently? What hands have you seen them call a raise with pre flop?
You need to make a decision here before you are commited to this pot. If you call (and you did), the pot becomes too big to fold to any bet unless you are sure you are beaten (and you won't be / aren't). You should take the information you have now to determine how sure you are that you are behind now. If the answer is not sure, reraise the turn. Even if it is just a mini raise, it will get you more information and that way when he puts you all in on the river (unless they have the balls to bluff again (again a read thing, watch your opponents)) you know you are beaten and can fold your hand.

As played and with the information you have given me I play it like you did and loose to a J9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Edited because I am a moron.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:08 AM

Calling the turn bet isn't terrible because of the fact that AQ now beats you, it's that calling the turn means you're putting him on exactly AJ or diamonds. There is really nothing else you beat here. Both KJ and J9 got there with that Queen. Possibly the only worse card in the deck was the Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

If you want to play bluff catcher with this hand, then i suppose calling the turn bet is alright, but when he pots the river, you are catching bluffs with your AK very rarely (certainly not 33% of the time)